Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

hi, so this is dd's 3 rd day ill off in 3 weeks, and I am bricking it, stupidly that the school will be on my back.

(20 Posts)
scroobiuspirate Mon 21-Sep-09 08:16:10

Am single mum, longstanding problems with dd's dad who has lets her down all the time. She has had counselling, has had some really terrible times emotionally.

I am mentioning this becuase, as the school know about it, but i have never kept her off becuase of it.

Yet i am sitting here feeling like the worst mother , full of cold myself, dd is in bed asleep, and has been ill all weekend with the cold. The fact she is still asleep at this hour is a big factor in me deciding to keep her off and makes me realise she must be ill, and she is exhausted from coughing all night.

I don't even know why i am writing this thread, just need to vent. I am just feeling so bad that this is her 3rd day off ill since going back. All this low attendence stuff, becuase of her illnesses. I have spoken to the head twice, and he knows i do my best, but when my dd gets ill she gets ill iyswim. She gets every bug going.

I guess i am feeling like a crap mum.

scroobiuspirate Mon 21-Sep-09 08:25:34

dd is 7

she's still asleep, this is unheard of.

sarah293 Mon 21-Sep-09 08:32:52

Message withdrawn

scroobiuspirate Mon 21-Sep-09 08:37:04

thanks. i just feel so paranoid. Maybe it's becuase things have been so bad at home for her the last week? I need to get perspective.

scroobiuspirate Mon 21-Sep-09 08:38:23

Riven, what sort of attendance figure did your dd have? They did dd's at end of summer term, it was 87 %, and that's not good in the eyes of the government.

sarah293 Mon 21-Sep-09 08:44:31

Message withdrawn

scroobiuspirate Mon 21-Sep-09 08:59:38

I need to priorise my worries and not let the school worry me. Monday mornings.

pofacedandproud Mon 21-Sep-09 09:05:43

I had no idea this could be a problem. Ds is having his second day off school and it is the third week starting today. He had a bad cold last week and had projectile vomiting over the weekend, still feeling sick today. Am I going to get into trouble? If you are pirate then som am I, surely?

TheFoosa Mon 21-Sep-09 09:33:58

If she's ill, she's ill, it can't be helped

I doubt if they have the full quota of children at any time from now until spring, there is always something going around

scroobiuspirate Mon 21-Sep-09 09:34:30

see, now you say it, it makes me think 'ofgs you are being ridiculous pirate'

my take is, if your child is ill, your child is ill. properly ill, like you say pofaced.

I am just feeling guilty, for no bloody reason, cos the school have talked to me in the past about it.

scroobiuspirate Mon 21-Sep-09 09:36:16

I am over sensitive, and like the weight of it all hangs on me all the time. dd is ill, the other stuff ( emotions, ex, family stuff)is making me not think straight.

Poledra Mon 21-Sep-09 09:42:55

Pirate, I'd say just keep talking to the school - communication is the key! grin As long as they are being kept informed, then I'm sure they'll be understanding. And as someone with a child at school who brings back all the bugs then infects her 14-mo baby sister with them, I'm pleased you're responsible enough to keep her off and avoid passing it around more than is necessary!

ChopsTheDuck Mon 21-Sep-09 09:45:34

def keep talking. Sometimes, they jsut have phases like that. When dd started reception, she kept picking up sickness bugs, every flipping week I would be up at night washing duvets, dettoling their room. Frequent illnesses are really common, especially at the start of the school year.

TheFoosa Mon 21-Sep-09 09:46:40

you're not being ridiculous, just sound like you & dd have a lot to deal with, which illness is compounding

pofacedandproud Mon 21-Sep-09 10:04:37

Oh great Chops I'm dreading this term. Whole house stinks of sick/dettol, and just waiting for dd, 16 months, to get it. GRrrrr. Hope you feel better pirate, you're doing the right thing IMO.

scroobiuspirate Mon 21-Sep-09 10:09:32

thefoosa, thanks. i need the support. love your name!!

i left a message at the school at about 8.00. my messages are probably legendary in the school office, long and detailed.

just feel ill and crap.

scroobiuspirate Mon 21-Sep-09 10:10:40

had to deal with the ex at the weekend, who hasn't seen dd for months. has to deal with dd's emotional upset, and my mum's gone abroad, and won't see her for months.

TheFoosa Mon 21-Sep-09 12:31:15

that's alot to cope with, especially your mum not being around to support

I have a dd the same age, she is very sensitive and emotional too, so I understand (a little smile) what that is like

As was said earlier, let the school know, as long as it isn't unauthorised, ie, you've told them she is ill then I don't think they can fuss too much

Sounds like you both need r&r

TheFoosa Mon 21-Sep-09 12:32:11

were you a different sort of pirate before? wink

scroobiuspirate Mon 21-Sep-09 17:32:19

yes i was!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now