Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

labyrinthitis - any idea how long i might be off work please

(5 Posts)
shamefulx Sun 20-Sep-09 20:59:58

I have a very bad bout of labyrinthitis and was just wondering approx how long i might expect to be off work.
I`m not one for being off and i am a little bothered by the length of time my gp says i might be ill for.
I cant walk proporly yet or focus very well but am managing to go about most daily activities by holding onto furniture and the walls and trying to rest .
Many thanks

KurriKurri Sun 20-Sep-09 23:45:04

Hi there, I've had three bouts of this and each one lasted a little over a week, I think it can last longer though (sorry, thats not much comfort is it?) Has your GP given you anything for it? mine gave me tablets which helped a bit, but it was about ten years ago when I last had it so can't remember what they were. Anyway you have my sympathies, its very unpleasant, I remember having to crawl to the loo because I couldn't stand up. I do hope you feel better soon.

gigglewitch Sun 20-Sep-09 23:49:12

dh has had this, he's going back to work tomorrow after several weeks off, he's had betahistine tablets which eventually did the trick, then he had to be weaned off them.
Good luck from me as well, it's pretty horrible - and I've not even had it. Take as long as you need off work, dh went back after a couple of days and they had to drop him off as obv he was unable to drive, then we had to go on a big goose-chase style trip to get his car back for him. What a mare - just don't take risks.

charlotteolivia Sun 20-Sep-09 23:55:37

i get recurrent bouts of this. i get given prochlorperazine. excellent stuff smile normally off for a weekish. hope you are feeling better soon!

fakeblondie Mon 21-Sep-09 09:03:59

Thanks everyone-i`ve had it a week now and am not crawling the the toilet like i was but certainly couldn`t work.

I`m taking proclopromazine and studeron and that stops the nausea but i`m very unsteady on my feet and it just feels like i`m going to be like this forever.
My head spins like someones stirring it up sometimes just when i`m sitting still .

I think people might think i`m drunk which is hugely embarrassing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now