Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Whats it like having Mirena Coil taken out?

(8 Posts)
chocolatekimmy Sun 20-Sep-09 20:31:47

Hi

My husband had the all clear following a vasectomy so it seems pointless keeping my coil.

What is it like having it removed and do any of you wish you had kept it in after all (and why)?

I don't have periods but get quite a lot of spots still - I never did grow out of them!

Thanks

CMOTdibbler Sun 20-Sep-09 20:34:40

Piece of cake to remove it - one quick tug and it was done

chocolatekimmy Sun 20-Sep-09 21:17:25

Thanks - can you do it yourself?

CMOTdibbler Sun 20-Sep-09 21:24:38

No, they have a special tool to remove it that pulls it into a tube

Summertimefizz Sun 20-Sep-09 22:00:20

Hi, I had mine removed 4 days ago and it took all of 2 minutes and wasn't painful at all. However I did have wait until I was menstruating before it could be removed, as my periods hadn't stopped at all this wasn't a problem. Apparently this is normal pratice, so maybe it's best to enquire with your GP or FPC.

SixtyFootDoll Sun 20-Sep-09 22:05:43

I was in agony when they took mine out sorry.
I dosed up on painkillers before I got there, and felt really woozy afterwards.
AND I have quite a high pain threshold.
I had lost my strings thouhg so there was a lot of prodding and poking.

Hobnobfanatic Sun 20-Sep-09 22:20:29

It was painful - but not as bad as when they put the blardy thing in. God, that hurt!

CarGirl Sun 20-Sep-09 22:22:15

didn't feel a thing, it had been in for nearly 3 years at the time. My strings hadn't disappeared though, took seconds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now