Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I think I have put my back out for the first time ever, it's hard to catch my breath and I am having a little cry because it hurts so much.

(22 Posts)
itsmeolord Sun 20-Sep-09 12:32:03

I lifted a saucepan out of the washing up bowl and got a really sharp pain across the middle of my back and my chest.
It really winded me and now I can't bend forward or stay standing because it hurts too much.

I am not normally a wuss with pain, this is really hurting and I am panicking a bit I think as I can't seem to get a proper breath.
I know I am not dying as am able to type on mumsnet so this is not a "should I call an ambulance" type post.

I start my shiny new job properly tomorrow, I have been part time for the last couple of weeks to get some training done so I really really can't go iff sick.

What do I do to get me moving again?
Have tried a hot shower and have taken some ibuprofen.

Please advise if you can, I have never done anything like this before.

GiraffesAndDucksSayQuack Sun 20-Sep-09 12:45:56

The fact that you cant get a proper breath is concerning - for that alone worth a trip to hosp IMO.

Also I have had lots of back problems and once when I was in severe pain it turned out back was in spasm and needed diazepam to relax muscles.

Can you get some cocodamol as well?

itsmeolord Sun 20-Sep-09 12:46:16

Help.
<dissolves into snivelling heap emoticon>

itsmeolord Sun 20-Sep-09 12:48:03

No, no cocodamol. Is it not just the muscles freezing up or something equally daft that is making it difficult o get a proper breath?

DP has gone to tesco to get some deep heat stuff.

Bucharest Sun 20-Sep-09 12:48:05

That has happened to me a couple of times, blocked on sofa one Easter Sunday for hours unable to move while dp was at the outlaws with dd.
Have you taken some painkillers? Sit still for an hour or so and see if it passes, (maybe ring NHS direct?) and then get someone to take you to casualty?
Hope it passes soon.

itsmeolord Sun 20-Sep-09 12:49:14

Crap. I cant go off sick on my first proper day. I need an instant fix. sad

GiraffesAndDucksSayQuack Sun 20-Sep-09 12:54:35

The diazepam made an (almost) instant fix to me, felt better in hours, still needed pain relief but wasn't in as much agony. I have never not been able to catch my breath with back pain.

geraldinetheluckygoat Sun 20-Sep-09 12:55:46

are you able to go and lie still on bed for a couple of hours to give it a rest?

itsmeolord Sun 20-Sep-09 12:56:51

OK. DP is back now, have showed him this and he is ringing NHS Direct.
Pain is all on one side now.

itsmeolord Sun 20-Sep-09 12:57:20

Cant lie down, hurts more to do that.

LuluMamaaaaarrrrr Sun 20-Sep-09 12:58:40

don't panic. i have had similar and it is agony

i put my back out lifting up my hairdryer a few months ago, had the pain across my chest and back

i took diclofenac and codeine for 48 hours and it did pass, but it bloody hurt

my sympathy to you

diazepam a good suggestion to relax the muscles

you should try to get to A&E or doc on call and get decent meds prescribed as they will help

LuluMamaaaaarrrrr Sun 20-Sep-09 12:59:08

don't lie down !! can you sit at the edge of the sofa with pillows behind you to keep you up?

GiraffesAndDucksSayQuack Sun 20-Sep-09 12:59:57

Off out now will come back later and see how you are. Be warned though NHS may get rather excited at the not being able to catch a breath thing!! Hope you get some decent meds to help

Bucharest Sun 20-Sep-09 13:01:10

Yes, I sat propped by cushions (kind of like you'd prop a toddler up to stop them falling off!) on the sofa for a few hours, with remote control and packet of biscuits handy, and it passed in a couple of hours..

itsmeolord Sun 20-Sep-09 13:02:41

smile I kind of thought that too Giraffe.

Many thanks everyone, have calmed down a bit now. I was giving myself the horrors I think.

DP is taking me to the NHS walk in place to get some pain relief.

Lulu - have NO intention of lying down! Tried it briefly.......

Thanks once again everyone, You really have helped me feel a bit better now. Will post a bit later. x

LuluMamaaaaarrrrr Sun 20-Sep-09 13:03:37

some decent pain meds and anti inflammatories will really help and make sure DH brings you lots of cups of tea and cake , that will definitely help!

Ripeberry Sun 20-Sep-09 13:03:56

Sounds like you have a spasm in your intercostal muscles (muscles that line your ribs).
Since having my second daughter 4yrs ago, I get regular spasms when I bend over in a certain way, such as sitting on floor and bending my knee towards my chest always brings it on sad
My husband a few years ago had a very bad cold and kept coughing for days. One night at 3am he wakes me from a deep sleep and says "Don't worry but I've called an Ambulance", my first thought was "What's happened to the kids?"
But it was because he had a spasm in his chest he was convinced he was having a heart attack.
They came quickly and re-assured him, and gave him some Ibuprofen.
The best way to get rid of it is to relax and stretch out on a bed, with arms above your head, you might get a twinge but then it goes.
But if it lasts for longer than 5hrs then ring NHS direct.
Hope you feel better soon.

cluckyagain Sun 20-Sep-09 13:08:10

Sorry to go against the flow but having put my back out twice (herniated disc) all of my physios have said to lie down flat on floor with knees bent, feet on the floor for half an hour at first - it can allow your back muscles to relax and stop the spasms for at least a short time. Make sure you not only take some pain relief, but keep dosed so that you can allow your back to move naturally (difficult!!) Good luckxx

cluckyagain Sun 20-Sep-09 13:09:16

....if you try to lie with legs straight out it will hurt like a bugger!

bamboobutton Sun 20-Sep-09 13:11:40

yes, anti-inflammatories. and make sure you keep moving.

i had this happen days before i was due to be induced. i went for a lie down and couldn't get up again. dh had to come back from london and scramble over a wall to get to me.
as i was pg the doctor said i couldn't take anything and i had to use the wheeled computer chair as a zimmer frame to get around the house.

i must add that it was all DHs fault as he made me help him move a fridge to the shed the day beforeangry

itsmeolord Sun 20-Sep-09 16:05:09

HI, have done the lying down flat thing and it is really sore so have stopped it for the minute.

The four nurofen have kicked in now and dp has come back with deep heat type spray and a ibuprofen gel which have helped a little as well.

NHS direct did as suspected and recommended a and e because of the catching my breath thing. However, that has eased a little bit now with the painkillers so I'm feeling much better.

DPis being a star and bringing me lunch/chocolate doughnuts.

My lovely neighbour and very good friend saw my facebook status and came round to make me a cup of tea so have been very well looked after. smile

Many thanks again for your help. Am hoping that this will ease enough for me to get to work tomorrow if I keep taking the painkillers.

StrictlyAvadaKedavra Sun 20-Sep-09 16:11:57

Lying up against a wall/sofa with your legs up is very very relieving on a bad back, also alternating heat and cold (frozen peas/hot water bottle or sittin against a warm radiator) and alternating sessions of lying still with sitting, with standing, with walking around.

Make sure you are eating with the nurofen or you'#ll feel sick and gripy on top of the back, and remember you can alternate with paracetamol too, so keeping you nicely topped up (nurfoen, 2hrs after paracetamol, 2 hrs after more nurfoen etc etc)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now