Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

If this ringing in my ear doesn't stop I will do a Van Gogh....

(23 Posts)
KerryMumbles Sat 19-Sep-09 19:32:37

Going on 9 months now. Some days worse than other.

Quite bad atm

sad

mummytopebs Sat 19-Sep-09 20:02:58

I have got terrible ringing in mine at mo getting them syringed on monday so hopefully that will stop it. Have you had them checked to see they are not blocked?

CybilLiberty Sat 19-Sep-09 20:04:11

What have you tried Kerry?

KerryMumbles Sat 19-Sep-09 20:07:29

they are not full of wax. audiologist said I have hearing loss in both ears. I only have ringing in the one ear. Some days it's very bad. Am waiting 3 months now for referral to ENT. She said no internal fluid but ffs I can literally HEAR it sloshing around in my eardrums! sad

I haven't tried much. what is there to try?

I am also susceptible to atmospheric changes. I was in mountains in italy and though my head would explod

CybilLiberty Sat 19-Sep-09 20:17:42

I wasn't sure if you'd tried olive oil etc but seeing as there's no wax it wouldn't help

CybilLiberty Sat 19-Sep-09 20:18:02

What are those hopi candle things that you pop in your ear and burn?

oneplusone Sat 19-Sep-09 20:27:34

I've got this as well. Am sure i have hearing loss too. I know i have internal fluid, but how to get it out?

Will watch this thread, hope somebody has got some ideas. Don't want to go completely deaf!

elsiepiddock Sat 19-Sep-09 20:39:34

You should get referred for an mri.

Don't want to alarm you, but my dh had this 'sloshing' in one ear and ringing.

He had an mri and found that he had an acoustic neuroma. It's rare, but worth ruling out.

claudialyman Sat 19-Sep-09 21:31:54

fluid in children's ears gets drained under GA and small tubes (grommets) inserted at times to help drainage continue. Older children can have the fluid drained in clinics without GA. so hang in there im sure theres a solution.

Pls dont try hopi candles, lots of warnings against using them now (and they are only for wax anyway)

for the ringing in your ears in the meantime white noise cds and i-pod pillows are meant to help- a regular noise drowning out the ringing.

liahgen Sat 19-Sep-09 21:33:38

I have had this for years, both ears, some hearing loss. Some days much worse than others, I can actually hear it above the TV

Never been to docs, just thought I'd have to live with it tbh

claudialyman Sat 19-Sep-09 21:38:13

honestly no, go get seen! ive only experienced it with my son (repeatedly) but his hearing loss recovered instantly when the fluid was drained every time

KerryMumbles Sat 19-Sep-09 21:56:16

oh god elsie - don't tell me that sad [is dh okay?]

I know the night it happened so am not terribly concerned about a tumour despite it being unilateral. I was out in a very very loud club. Mind you this was the first time I had EVER gone out in I don't know 3 years.....and there was a speaker just behind me on that one side. sad

Was ringing when I left and has never stopped...

elsiepiddock Sun 20-Sep-09 11:04:54

Yes dh is fine Kerry.

He had symptoms for over 10 years inc terrible tinnitus - every ent he saw told him he'd damaged his ear through loud music hmm. In fact he blamed it on one particular gig h'd been to when he stood next to a speaker.

He finally got his diagnosis and has had it treated with 'gamma knife radiosurgery'. He's fine now - but it has made him rather deaf in one ear!

KerryMumbles Sun 20-Sep-09 11:44:48

oh hell, not making me feel better.

But i never had tinnitus before. EVER. So surely it is coincidence beyond beyond that this one night I stood next to a speaker with extremely loud music and I got tinnitus in that ear also happens to be the night a tumour appears?

sad

alypaly Sun 20-Sep-09 18:59:38

have you been taking ibuprofen or any anti inflammatories recently

mumtoted Sun 20-Sep-09 19:18:22

I've heard that cranial sacral therapy can be successful in treating tinnitus.

KerryMumbles Mon 21-Sep-09 10:39:38

sinus tabs every once in a while but that's about it.

i was thinking about cranial sacral therapy.....

magso Mon 21-Sep-09 11:56:52

Is it worth trying a nasal spray or other nasal decongestant (Olbus oil?) whilst you wait for the ent appointment? My GP gave me this to try incase the inner drainage between ear and nose was blocked. It did not help with my tinnitus but it did with the blocked muffled hearing so it might be worth a try. My tinnitus is often but not always better after having my dodgy neck manipulated by my chiropractor.
Sympathy -it drives me mad too ( my MRI was OK)

nightcat Mon 21-Sep-09 12:17:15

Also have this, I had my blood pressure checked recently as apparently high blood pressure could be the cause too.
Interestingly, my first number was as usual, ie no higher than normal (119), but I noticed the 2nd number was higher than normal (87, normally in low 70's).

I wonder if anyone knows more about what could cause the increase in the 2nd number?

claudialyman Mon 21-Sep-09 18:16:28

Magso could you tell me what exactly your GP gave you that helped the muffled hearing?

My son is waiting for grommet surgery for the moment and can't handle the muffled hearing at all. It's the fourth time we've gone through this and he's a different child during the months he's on the waiting list, can't cope with much at all. Would try anything that gave him relief.

elsiepiddock Mon 21-Sep-09 20:15:35

Sorry Kerry - ignore me! I am not trying to suggest you have a tumour. It is HIGHLY unlikely!

It's just that my dh was fobbed off with that 'loud music' line - he just happened to be the one in a squillion that had something else going on in there.

I'll be quiet now grin

KerryMumbles Tue 22-Sep-09 10:14:03

have tried decongestants and steaming sad

it's very likely i have hbp. worth looking into smile

I am entirely convinced now that I have a tumour, especially as gp said she was going to push for an urgent appointment cause it was unilateral....

magso Wed 23-Sep-09 13:24:31

Hi Kerry - I was given a steriod nasal spray ( think it was called flixonase to reduce nasal swelling (for rhinitis which I also have -she thought that for me it was all linked) along with oral decongestants. I do not know if it is suitable for children.
My ENT Dr said they always scan people with newly developed tinitus as a precaution but most tinitus is of unknown cause and that acoustic tumours are extreemely rare but the one thing that needs sorting sooner rather than later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now