Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Massage for neck, shoulder pain - how to find someone good?

(6 Posts)
SueW Sat 19-Sep-09 17:50:13

In Feb this year I started to suffer really bad pain behind my shoulder blade. I tried physio - three sessions, ultrasound, exercises - and have been doing Pilates. I've also paid for back/shoulder massages at a local salon. All in all I reckon I've thrown about £400 at the problem.

In August I went to New York and on the way back at JFK airport, treated myself to a back, neck and shoulder massage (15 mins) followed by 20 mins in a massage recliner chair - cost about $40.

I felt pretty sick and dizzy when I got up and for some of the flight but when I got off the plane I had no pain at all and haven't had it since.

I've got a little bit of upper back pain though that I know is from computering.

How can I get a massage that can solve the previous problem if I get it again, or can help with the current problem if it becomes worse? Obv I'm not keen on going down the salon route since that did no good at all, ditto the physio and Pilates (altho the latter helped firm my abs!)

BoffinMum Sat 19-Sep-09 20:32:30

Ooh, ooh, ooh, I think I may have an answer!!!

www.backinaction.co.uk/mobiliser

You can hire them if you don't want to buy. I think you can try them out in Back In Action stores as well.

SueW Sun 20-Sep-09 01:08:49

Oh wow that looks good.

There's a place not too far away so I may go and have a try.

Thanks!

(I'm off to NYC again next month but flying thru Newark not JFK so can't guarantee the massage but even so it's really a bit unrealistic to be rely on that LOL)

SofiaAmes Sun 20-Sep-09 01:43:50

SueW, you should try yoga. It's a miracle cure for all types of back troubles.

SueW Sun 20-Sep-09 12:07:32

Unfortunately Sofia there is no yoga class round here that I can get to. Is it any good trying to do it from a video (I've done it a couple of classes before)?

The Pilates was great - very small class so we could all be checked regularly to make sure we were doing things properly. But it did nothing for my back.

SofiaAmes Sun 20-Sep-09 16:42:47

Yes, definitely try a video. Or, even cheaper, download a free class video from itunes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now