Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Worried about symptoms of ovarian cancer.

(8 Posts)
mummyloveslucy Fri 18-Sep-09 21:54:25

Hi, I have some symptoms that I am a bit concerned about.
I have been on fertility drugs on and off and have taken the maximum amount you are alowed in a life time apparently.
I finnished my last course 4 months ago.
I have developed abdominal pain on and off, very similar to period pain but I'm not due on for 3 weeks and it's not ovulation pain as it feels compleatly different.
I'm also getting a clear jelly like discharge with no smell. Sorry for TMI. blush I'm also getting back ache.
I'm aware that ovarian cancer symptoms are similar and that they are easily missed until it's too late.
Should I see a doctor or will he or she think I'm being a bit dramatic? I know it's probubly fine, but I don't really want to take any chances.

pushmepullyou Fri 18-Sep-09 22:09:01

I get a jelly like discharge a lot and it has never been anything sinister.

Various of my relatives have had ovarian cancer though, so I can understand your concern.

Has it been going on long? If it was me I would probably give it a couple of weeks and go to the GP if no better. In my experience (as a committed hypochndriac) doctors generally tell you to go away and take some paracetamol unless the pain has been going on for a while.

I hesitate to ask this in view of your history, but when was your last period? I assume there is no chance you could be pregnant? Period type pains and jelly discharge were my first pregnancy signs.

mummyloveslucy Fri 18-Sep-09 22:14:50

Thanks, I'll see how it goes. There's no chance at all of me being pregnant, my Husband has been away. grin

mummyloveslucy Fri 18-Sep-09 22:18:14

I'm off to bed now, but I'll check again in the morning.

doggus Fri 18-Sep-09 22:18:52

I have the jelly like discharge too! (thought it was just me).

I had borderline ovarian cancer (where it is neither benign or malignant) and my symptoms were not like yours. I had no pain, but did have a period that went on and on.

I would see the GP as they will probably put your mind totally to rest by sending you for an ultrasound. I am NOT suggesting you see your GP because I think you have cancer, but because I think it is the way to stop worrying.

I think the link to fertility drugs is quite tenuous?

purplepeony Fri 18-Sep-09 22:21:39

Discharge is not a symptom of ovarian cancer, unless you were bleeding.

I would 2nd the opinion of a PT unless your H has been away for months and you are sure it's not a possibility.

The other option- not so nice- is some kind of pelvic infection- an STI. Unless you can vouch for his faithfulness 100% you ought to be tested.

ABetaDad Fri 18-Sep-09 22:33:07

mummyloveslucy - my DW had ovarian cancer and the truth is that there is no way to tell without ultrasound, CA125 blood tests and if any of those tests give an indictaion then you would need to have tissue samples taken and an expert oncologist look at them.

There are may similar symptoms related to other uterine/ovarian conditions. Bloating and symptoms similar to irritable bowel are quite common.

The ultrasound and CA125 tests are fairly simple and quick to do. My DW still has them as she has been in remission 10 years. If you are worried then you must insist on being refered to have the ultrasound and CA125. Indeed, you should be referred anyway if you have those kinds of pains or symptoms.

Finally, if at all possible, try not to go randomly searching the internet as ovarian cancer is an extremely complex condition with a wide range of tumour types and outcomes. If you want to look at a site go to this Ovacome one that DW found useful. There is a page on the symptoms.

purplepeony Fri 18-Sep-09 22:39:33

Just to endorse what ABD said.

It is very hard to diagnose without all the tests. it is also a rare disease in younger women. Pain is not often a symptom unless a tumour is huge and is pressing on other organs.

You could have abdominal pain for 100s of reasons. A clear discharge is normal in women- is this unusal for you?

Your first step must be your GP who will no doubt do an internal, then perhaps refer you for an internal ultrasound.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now