Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Are there any back experts out there?

(7 Posts)
mum2seb Fri 18-Sep-09 14:18:04

I've just got back from my GP, after my Pilates instructor told me to go and see him. My left shoulder is significantly higher than my right, and from the back, apparently my spine has scoliosed (sp?) from the shoulder blades up. My GP says there's nothing to worry about, even though there is a clear scoliosis, and that I should do some press ups and exercises like the lat pull down machine at the gym (which I'm not a member of because I can't afford it!). My Pilates instructor doesn't think that's a very good response and thinks something more needs to be done. So what do I do? Do I get my dh weights out and start pumping iron (I run 2 - 3 times a week and do Pilates once a week), or do I head for the nearest Physio/ Osteopath/ Chiropractor? (Bearing in mind cash isn't too plentiful!!).

I'd be grateful for any advice - I don't want to sound flippant, but I don't fancy looking like the female version of Quasimodo in 10 years time, really. Actually, I am reasonably concerned. Anything to do with backs fills me with dread - ds1 has Spina Bifida, and it's taken me 3 weeks of my Pilates instructor badgering me to get off my backside and go to the doctors.

Pitchounette Fri 18-Sep-09 14:48:14

Message withdrawn

Pitchounette Fri 18-Sep-09 14:49:40

Message withdrawn

nellie12 Fri 18-Sep-09 14:51:42

second opinion from anther gp I think. If its new I would also want to know the cause. If you have a group practice ask the receptionist to make the appointment with a gp who has a special interest in orthopaedics. If you still dont get a satisfactory answer I would ask for referral to consultant.

mum2seb Fri 18-Sep-09 15:56:33

Thanks for that - I'll get on the case this evening, and see if I can get to see another of the GPs on Monday. I've been told that Physio appointments are like gold dust up here, and I'm dreading having to broach the subject to dh of paying to see one. But I'll see about another GP first anyway! Thanks!

SoupDragon Fri 18-Sep-09 15:59:40

I'm not an expert but I think your GP is talking nonsense! A chiropractor/osteopath will manipulate the spine to help. I've always found them to be fabulous.

morningpaper Fri 18-Sep-09 16:03:18

Your GP should refer you to a physio - they are common as muck here, you can self-refer and be seen in a couple of days. See another GP, or ask your GP to refer you for physio because you "want to learn some exercises to strength my back".

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: