Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Is this normal for a Wasp/Bee sting?

(7 Posts)
TitsalinaBumsquash Fri 18-Sep-09 11:03:19

I got stung yesterday, just under my eye. First time i have been stung.

Im not sure if it was a Wasp or a Bee but whatever it was i had a funny reaction and collapsed in the Chemist blush im ok now, i had a shot and a cup of sweet, hot tea which stopped the swelling in my throat and the dizzyness.

Anyway this morning my face is swollen on one side and the vision in my left eye (the sting side) is really blurry, i kind of feels like that side of my face is paralysed, is that normal for a sting and how long before it goes away.

TIA smile

mummylin2495 Fri 18-Sep-09 11:25:56

it is normal for a sting to swell,but i have never heard of the site of the sting being paralysed.Have you got anti histamine cream and /or piriton to take.I would ask your doc or the local nurse to check it out even if it just stops you worrying about.Stings damn well hurt dont they ,i had one earlier this year

NormaStanleyFletcher Fri 18-Sep-09 11:28:43

If you had swelling in your throat then I would see a doctor. I do react badly to wasp stings, I swell and itch for days afterwards, but your reaction sounds worse (especially as it was a first time)

itsmeolord Fri 18-Sep-09 11:31:26

What do you mean you had a shot? Surely that means you had medical attention? Did they not give you advice on what to do next etc?

I had a reaction to nuts for the first time a few weeks ago and I was given lots of info, have an appointment with the allergy clinic at Addenbrookes to see if I need an epipen etc.
You need to see your gp I think.

TitsalinaBumsquash Fri 18-Sep-09 13:49:18

I was given a shot of an anti histamine by the Pharmacist becuase i was in there when it happened, i was laying down and she made sure i was ok, the tightnss in my throat went down pretty quickly and the light headedness went away to after the Sugar in the Tea. She said to call NHS direct if i was worried or to go to the GP or obviously if i had any tight chest, breathlessness to call 999.

I really felt fine when i went home (she called DP to come get me) just tired from the anti histamine which she said was normal, i didn't know how long the swelling would go on for and i the numbness was normal thats all. I feel fine in myself now.

I am due to see my GP tommorrow anyway so will ask her about it while im there, i know my mum is badly allergic to stings so best to be safe.

Thanks for the advice.

Smithagain Fri 18-Sep-09 13:52:18

Definitely talk to your GP. If you had swelling in your throat, it sounds like an allergic reaction which could be very serious if it happens again. You need allergy testing and I would hope they would prescribe an Epipen, in case of future reactions. Make sure you carry antihistamines.

And I would recommend posting this in the Allergy section where there are lots of very knowledgable people.

purplepeony Fri 18-Sep-09 14:59:16

Are you sure it was shot of anti histamine? that sounds very unusual for a pharmacist to give an injection.

I am allergic to wasp stings after almost dying from 1 as a child- it was on my head and I almost stopped breathing.

I now have to carry an Epipen which is a shot of adrenaline- do you think this is what the pharmacist used? You have to have it prescribed though- it's not OTC stuff.

You need to go and see your GP- stings to the fae and neck can give a more severe reaction, but you need to talk over what happened- espcially as you say you collapsed- that's usually a 999 sign!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: