Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What is wrong with me?! (Perimenopause?)

(5 Posts)
funkycool Thu 17-Sep-09 23:06:55

I've copied my last message (have edited it a bit) from a thread I created about my heavy periods but basically this is the whole story.

I blacked out 6 months ago and my Doctor diagnosed me as anaemic due to my heavy periods. I'm over 40 and my periods have been getting sightly heavier over the past few years. My haemoglobin was 9 and my ferritin (iron stores) were 4. I went on iron tablets but they made me ill. I also started to get the following symptoms: I felt like my whole body/system went down - I had joint pain, stomach problems, rashes, loss of balance, faintness, nausea, fatigue, weak limbs, dodgy bowels, pins and needles, etc. My Doctor thought I had a virus on top of the anaemia. I have gradually started to feel a bit better over the months. My haemoglobin is now 12 but my iron stores are still low at 20/30. I did some research and decided to go on a gluten, wheat and dairy free diet which seems to have made a difference to the joint pain, rashes and loose bowels but I still have the following symptoms:

heavy periods (usually get these every 3 1/2 weeks but the first day of my last period was only 14 days after the first day of the period before that), racing heart, lower back ache, pain on right side of body at the bottom of ribs, achey bowels.

I have been backwards and forwards to the Doctors, seen various consultants and have had the following tests:

Gastro-enterologist Upper GI endoscopy and biopsy for celiacs - both clear.

Neurologist - MRI brain scan - clear.

Cardiologist - I have sinus tachycardia - means my heart is beating a bit too fast, nothing wrong with heart, usually caused by things like thryoid condition or anaemia.

Have had numerous bloodtests for liver function, kidney function, thyroid, diabetes, addisons, can't remember what else now, but all the usual ones - all clear.

I'm sure I've missed something out now but can add it later. I spent weeks thinking I was going to die. I have spent literally hours googling my symptoms. The only two things which I found which were similar to my symptoms was an article about a lady with a severe B12 deficiency, and another article about a lady with severe perimenopausal symptoms.

Would love to hear your thoughts ...

funkycool Thu 17-Sep-09 23:50:00

... have also had smear test, pelvic ultrasound, transvaginal ultrasound, abdominal ultrasound, heart ultrasound - all clear.

kreecherlivesupstairs Fri 18-Sep-09 09:55:56

No advice but have you had your b12 checked. I think that's pernicious anaemia and is controlled by a monthly injection.

funkycool Fri 18-Sep-09 22:04:09

kreecher - no but a few people have suggested that, so think I'll get that checked next week. Thanks.

movingnow Fri 18-Sep-09 22:12:58

The main bit of your post seems to be heavy periods. I had very normal periods until I had DS when I was 40. Afterwards periods increased until unbearable. Diagnosis was fibroids, D&C plus mirena coil seem to have solved much. Have to admit that I have/do now suffer from gastritsis and abdominal/strange rib pains(lower right) seem to increasing. Now 47 and suspect perimenopause etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now