Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

anyone in alternative medicines or knowlegable about skin that can put me in the right direction??

(20 Posts)
mad4myboys Thu 17-Sep-09 19:58:37

Since i had ds1 3 years ago ive had really spotty skin. I was on various different anti biotics and saw 2 different dermatologists within 18 months and nothing has helped. When i got pg with ds2 my skin cleared up. As soon as i had him (10 months ago) my skin is bad again. My gp gave me some anti biotic cream about a month ago to try and it hasnt yet done anything. It is really getting me down now. Really affecting my self confidence. They are worse on the right hand side of my jaw and i have read this is a sign of a hormone imbalance. I had some bloods done recently to check various hormone levels and they are all fine....

I saw a naturopath and he was rubbish. No help at all. Have tried various skin products from the strong stuff to natural stuff. I have also tried reflexology. Ive tried homeopathy in the past and that didnt help either.

Please can anyone help me???? Really really down sad

alypaly Fri 18-Sep-09 00:03:20

hi again mad4myboys...what sort of spots are they?

shonaspurtle Fri 18-Sep-09 00:09:06

Ooh watching this. I am exactly the same. I have never had such bad skin and particularly my jaw.

thumbwitch Fri 18-Sep-09 00:10:44

hmm, could be stress. Could indeed be hormone imbalance, possibly related to stress, possibly not, despite your results (as you actually probably needed to get your cortisol levels checked - did they get done?)

Spots can be related to sugar imbalance as well (yes really, it really is true that eating too many sweets etc. can give you spots) as if you have higher-than-normal levels of either sugar or insulin in your blood, it can affect the amount of skin you produce, which can therefore affect your pores, and as well it can cause inflammation and an inefficient immune system.

So - have you checked your diet?

mad4myboys Fri 18-Sep-09 07:56:05

thanks guys. I am vegetarian and have come off wheat and dairy not long ago due to being intollerant. Hi aly! There are gross teenage typ spots with pus! mmm nice On my jaw though they are those big red under the skin lumps you get? That hurt when you press them!

sleeplessinsuburbia Fri 18-Sep-09 08:13:34

Sounds like my skin, I was on antibiotic tablets and cream for a couple of months (average results) then started ReTrieve with great results. May have to return to antibiotics periodically. You need a prescription, then in about 6 months if there's scarring you may need some laser treatments.

alypaly Fri 18-Sep-09 09:43:32

mad4myboys. have they left raised lumpy reddish,blueish scars?

if they have it sounds like acne vulgaris.

the individual lesions can be treated with a steroid injection into each one and it really reduces the scarring. Try not to picksmile

mad4myboys Fri 18-Sep-09 10:24:50

some have left flat red scars. Not pitted like typical acne...

mad4myboys Fri 18-Sep-09 10:25:11

some have left flat red scars. Not pitted like typical acne...

alypaly Fri 18-Sep-09 10:28:12

still think it is possibly acne vulgaris if they hurt when you touch them

mad4myboys Fri 18-Sep-09 12:22:49

only the ones on my jaw hurt, the others dont..what can i do?

alypaly Fri 18-Sep-09 19:19:26

see gp and ask him to se if it is acne vulgaris. If it is ,ask to see a consultant dermatologist

mad4myboys Fri 18-Sep-09 19:36:49

now you mention it im pretty sure that is what they called it as that what was on a form i had to take to both dermatologist's......

mathanxiety Sat 19-Sep-09 06:49:44

My DS recently had a bad flare up that wouldn't go away and dermatologist put him on doxycycline for 4 weeks, plus benzoyl peroxide 10% for his back, and 5% bp for his face in the morning and a retinol cream at night. He has to use moisturiser on his face at night because the peeling effect is quite severe. He's also using a soap without sodium laurel sulfate or sodium laureth sulfate, no sls ingredients at all in fact. I myself have been following a regimen I found on this site; it's American but there are lists of recommended products that are available in the UK. I used to have bad teenage acne that never really went away except when I was pg (and then only last two semesters).

purplepeony Sat 19-Sep-09 08:52:23

Are you against conventional medicine?
My DD was put on Roaccutane byher dermo and it cleared her acne when nothing else could. She was told hers was hormonal andnothing would clear it apart from aggressive treatment.
If you don't want to try that, you could try TCM. (chinese medicine)

mad4myboys Sat 19-Sep-09 08:52:40

ive tried alot of those sort of products online....not sure iwant to do that again...i just dont understand why nothing works!!

BecauseImWorthIt Sat 19-Sep-09 08:56:58

I suffer from this - and had assumed it was to do with hormones as I'm 50 and approaching the menopause. I have some scarring too, and whilst the spots are healing, the skin is very pink.

Mine flare up before my period. And then I also get lots of blackheads on my chest after my period. Nice.

You can have laser treatment that is supposed to help with the scarring, although I'm a bit ambivalent about this.

There are two things that I have found help my face. First, using Clearasil wipes agt night and in the morning. Second, sunshine.

I know sun is ageing, but after 2 weeks of lovely sun in France this summer my skin is noticeably better. And I did wear sunscreen as well as my normal moisturiser.

mad4myboys Sat 19-Sep-09 09:01:26

im just wondering....im on citalopram for pnd and was after ds1 birth. Probably clutching at straws?

purplepeony Sat 19-Sep-09 11:12:10

mad- are you saying you tried Roaccutane online- cos you can't buy it- or if you did, you shouldn't have as you need blood tests before and during treatment plus you have to agree not to become pregnant- my DD had to sign a form saying she would sue 2 forms of birth control as the drug causes foetal abnormalities.

mad4myboys Mon 21-Sep-09 10:07:49

no def not, i meant ive bought alot of skin products online....i cant (and wont) go on roacutane because i already have pnd

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now