Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

parents with multiple sclerosis- anyone else?

(7 Posts)
girlsyearapart Thu 17-Sep-09 13:01:47

Hi I've had relapsing remitting MS for nearly ten years.
Just had a couple of questions for anyone else with same condition..
Have stopped taking injections of Beta Inteferon so we can ttc baby number 3. Does anyone know whether it is worth stopping and starting this? Can't really remember what the benefits of inteferon were..

Have been unable to bf my dds as fatigue gets the better of me and need to re start medication but would like to give it another go if we manage to have a 3rd. Anyone else manage it?

With dd1 I was categorised high risk and had to give birth on main ward and be monitored in totally tedious consultant appointments throughout with doctors who didn't know me or much about ms.
With dd2 I refused to see consultants sending midwife into spasms and ended up having her on the MLU but only because the ward ws full.
Will they go on medical history or previous birth history instead with a 3rd?

TheDMshouldbeRivened Thu 17-Sep-09 13:12:38

wotcha
I had RR MS for over 10 years now too. Never taken beta-interferon though. The side effects seemed to be the same as the disease!
I did find pregnancy makes the MS better though.
Did bf the first 3 but number 4 couldn't cos she was born too disabled to bf.

girlsyearapart Thu 17-Sep-09 13:24:29

Side effects were horrid at the beginning but they improved.
found the inteferon improved fatigue.
Either that or the kids make me so tired I can't tell the difference!

Milliways Thu 17-Sep-09 19:49:08

You may wish to bump This old MS MUMs Thread?

I found it when I was searching archives for symptoms etc.

girlsyearapart Fri 18-Sep-09 08:50:15

I did bump one a few months ago but got nothing.
Not even pg with the 3rd yet so will wait till I actually have some concrete questions.
Thanks though Mill x

hamstring Mon 21-Sep-09 22:40:04

ive had ms for 12 years. i havent been on any meds for it though after my 3rd baby i did feel exhausted and had a relapse however ive now got baby number 4 , still breastfeedig and all ok.
i thought there was a drug you could have straight after birth to lesson likely hood of relapse though im not sure what its called.

hamstring Mon 21-Sep-09 22:42:42

oh and i had to see the consultant twice but birth was as normal. i thought labour and birth was not really high risk for ms pregnancies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now