Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any pharmacists around.. question re Mirena coil and oxytetracycline

(18 Posts)
LuluMaman Thu 17-Sep-09 10:29:59

been prescribed oxytetracycline today for acne. oh the glamour !! and doc advised using additional contraception for 3 weeks as the ABs can affect the IUD

is that right?

new GP, just qualified and i was not terribly confident in his advice re that and the other issue i discussed with him , re my stiff/sore fingers.

LuluMaman Thu 17-Sep-09 11:38:52

anyone??

CMOTdibbler Thu 17-Sep-09 11:44:11

Looks like he's right - apparently the tetracylines can cause the Mirena to be less effective due to liver processing of the hormones being affected.

LuluMaman Thu 17-Sep-09 15:53:22

eeeeeeeeeeeeek !!! that's going to be fun, think i might go back and ask for topical lotion instead, which might be better

alypaly Fri 18-Sep-09 00:11:47

LuluMaman...the mirena coil is low dose Levonorgestrel and oral levonorgestrel is affected by oxytet so he is right to inform you to take extra contraception.
here is part of a patient leaflet from an oxytet brand

The effectiveness of oral contraceptives can be reduced while taking this medicine. It is advised that you use additional contraceptive methods such as condoms.

TheOne Fri 18-Sep-09 00:20:27

But the Mirena is not an oral contraceptive. Or was I using it wrong? <ponders that it could be why I couldn't get on with it hmm>

alypaly Fri 18-Sep-09 00:28:34

found it for you ... it was on info in mirena coil.I know you havent got a heart defect but it to do with taking antibiotics

it is under the heading warning.

Warning!

If you have any heart valve defects, you may be given antibiotics when the IUS is inserted or removed, in order to prevent inflammation of the heart valves and sac surrounding the heart (endocarditis).

What i can gather that it is saying is that you should take care if you are using both so legally he had to tell you. Hope this helps

LuluMaman Fri 18-Sep-09 09:28:38

thank you

that's great. i am going to go back and ask for soemthing different as reading up on things, the ABs are not as appropriate as a topcial lotion.

good that i was given the right advice, but i did not feel confident. anyway, will see my regular doc next time !

thank you for your help

alypaly Fri 18-Sep-09 09:40:09

have you tried anything yet for the acne. I used to work for a dermatology company selling acne lotions and stuff for eczema etc.

panoxyl was good for some.
nicam gel which is a cheaper version of freederm ( and a bigger pack)is also very good and my DS2 skin didnt get as dry skin.

LuluMaman Fri 18-Sep-09 11:17:22

i have not had anythingn prescribed for about 4 years, but have recently changed all my skincare regime which has helped, but my brother getting married in 6 weeks, so am hoping to get it sorted, not got loads of spots, but get large, red painful onesround my chin and mouth and even when theya re gone, they leave red marks for ages

alypaly Fri 18-Sep-09 11:35:34

retin A from the docs is really good. but its prescription only. Panoxyl is good as it has a bleaching agent in it which helps with the redness of the spots

LuluMaman Fri 18-Sep-09 11:45:36

my sister had that years ago, i would be loathe to go down that route , my skin is not that bad and the side effects are horrible unless it has changed much

thank you for you helpful and professional advice smile

alypaly Fri 18-Sep-09 11:47:53

with retinm A ,my son said it made his face a little dry and if he over used it ,it went a bit red... did you have worse probs

LuluMaman Fri 18-Sep-09 12:13:55

my sister used it and had terribly dry lips, cracked and sore and her nose too, and v v dry skin. my spots seem to be just round my chin/jaw line and the odd one on my cheek. it is not all over , so i don't want something too harsh.

alypaly Fri 18-Sep-09 12:15:49

quinoderm cream or panoxyl 2.5% cream or oxy 5.
Creams are less harsh than gels and less astringent

LuluMaman Fri 18-Sep-09 12:17:59

can i get those at the pharmacy?

alypaly Fri 18-Sep-09 18:56:32

yes just ask the pharmacist for them...panoxyl 2.5 cream is sometimes kept in the dispensary

LuluMamaaaaarrrrr Fri 18-Sep-09 18:57:29

great , thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now