Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

"highly suspicious" breast lump...

(45 Posts)
MorphFan Thu 17-Sep-09 09:55:58

Have just found out that the biopsies I've had taken from a breast lump are highly suspicious - but not conclusive yet of breast cancer. Further tests have to be done before they know what to do next...
I'm trying to stay positive - but this has been dragging on for a while now and each visit to the hospital brings a bit more bad news...
I have DS aged 3 and DD aged 1...
Does anyone have any experience of this please?

KerryMumbles Thu 17-Sep-09 10:10:27

sorry to hear this news. I just went through some invasive screening due to a lump and my mum having had breast cancer. All turned out to be fine (fingers crossed).

Who is saying "highly suspicious"? I mean seroiusly fucking doctors. wtf does that mean? I mean if they are looking at it under a microscope in a lab they should be able to discern cancer from not, one would think.

Given that they are not conclusive I would be hopeful.

Number one they should not be dragging your visits out if there is concern. You should be in and out of there pronto! And I mean this week or Monday at the latest. Have your gp and\or referring consultant kick some ass and get you seen pronto.

what exams have you had so far? How did mammogram look? What are they proposing as next step.

MorphFan Thu 17-Sep-09 10:27:02

Hello - thanks for replying.

It's the consultant surgeon that told me this. I know what you mean - you would have thought it's either cancer or not... Apparently not in my case tho - trust me to have a strangely behaving lump! My biopsies have been sent for further tests - hence the need to wait another week.

I had a needle biopsy, mammogram and ultrasound done a couple of months - all of which looked normal at the time. This larger lump has appeared since I had that done...

No proposals for a next step yet - they need to know what exactly they're dealing with first.

Bloody BUGGER it...!!

KerryMumbles Thu 17-Sep-09 10:29:52

get it removed. end of.

call the doctor and say you don't care if it's cancer or not if it's suspicious and it's getting bigger you want it OUT.

NOW.

Once it's removed they can test it and then decide what to do, radiation, chemmo, etc.

Don't let them fuck you around.

MorphFan Thu 17-Sep-09 10:59:14

Thanks KerryMumbles... I really don't think they're fucking me around tho. And I know from having worked in an Oncology Dept. that it's important they know what they're dealing with before they go diving in with a knife.
It's just frustrating having to wait - and yes I do feel like yelling GET IT OUT NOW!

By the way - should have said - glad your lump was nothing to worry about!!

KerryMumbles Thu 17-Sep-09 11:10:30

ok. good. I hope it all goes well for you. I know this is a very stressful and worrying time. Try to keep yourself occupied as best as possible. I read a lot while going through my waits.

silentcatastrophe Thu 17-Sep-09 17:14:26

I had the same thing. I had mammograms, needle tests, 2 biopsies... All were inconclusive. In the end they did a lumpectomy and said, when the results came back that they didn't like the look of it. I was diagnosed with DCIS and booked in for a mastectomy and reconstruction. My dcs were 3 and 1 at the time.

It's not nice not knowing and it's a roller coaster ride. Breast Cancer Care were very helpful and provided phone support before I had my operation, and there are younger womens' support groups around.

I've just had my 2 year check and they want to do an MRI scan as the mammogram wasn't very helpful.

I really hope it all goes well for you and that whatever the problem is that you are getting the best treatment.

edd021208 Fri 18-Sep-09 22:52:19

breast lumps are usually classified as b1 b2 b3 b4 and b5. B1 and B2 are always benign, often a fibroadenoma. They aren't usually excised unless they are over a certain size. B3 is of indeterminate malignancy and is often a phylloides tumour which although not definitely malignant is usually excised (taken out). b4 and b5 are always taken out as they are both malignant. You can empower yourself by asking for more explanation of the results of your biopsy and which one it is.
FWIW, I had a lump when my dc was 10 weeks old, had a core biopsy and was advised that it was b3 but to keep bfing the baby for a 'while' before having surgery and then having weaned her at 5 months the lump was smaller, and so I sort of insisted on another biopsy to make sure that the lump is still b3 and I'm waiting for the results now.
I had a similar situation after my first baby and it turned out that the lump changed and was ultimately determined as benign and was not removed. Although you have to be careful, it is still a good idea to look at all the factors that might be influencing your lump. I'm hoping of course that my lump is now classed as benign and I can avoid surgery.

LittleMissNorty Fri 18-Sep-09 23:01:01

A B4 result on a biopsy means the pathologist has seen some crtieria of malignancy but not all of them required to make a certain diagnosis (which would be a B5) and it sounds like either further tests (such as immunohistochemistry) are being done on the biopsy (which can take a few days) or it has been sent for a second opinion.

In either of these situations, it is important to get the diagnosis accurate so that your treatment can be accurately planned and be exactly what you need.

I'm sorry if that sounds a bit clinical but hope the explanation helps.

What a horrible wait for you and your family.

You should have access to a breast care nurse....make the most of her....that is what she is there for.

Good luck x

MorphFan Sun 20-Sep-09 19:37:00

Thanks to all of you for your replies - have been trying to keep busy and consquently not had much time left for mumsnetting. I'm really grateful to you for taking the time to post.

silentcatastrophe
Thanks for sharing what sounds like a very similar story to mine - down to the ages of our children! Rollercoaster is exactly right - complete with the feeling of nausea!! I'm pretty sure I'll be finally diagnosed with DCIS too. I hope you don't have to wait too long for your MRI. I would like to ask more about your mastectomy - but probably better to wait until I know exactly what I'm in for...

edd021208
Thanks for the classification info - that's really interesting. I'm guessing I must be 4 or 5 as my histology so far is "highly suspicious" - and that ties in with what LittleMissNorty says too.
Do you mind my asking if your lump is within your milk ducts - just interested to hear you were advised to carry on feeding. I've been worried as I only stopped feeding a month ago - and felt my original lump over 3 months ago.
I hope you don't have to wait too long for your results - and that you can avoid surgery.

LittleMissNorty
B4 sounds like me doesn't it. I think my biopsy went for second opinion outside the hospital.
Absolutely no problem with you sounding clinical. I was PA to an Oncologist for some years so am familiar with that terminology. It's the surgical bit pre-oncology referral I'm not so familiar with.
Of course when I was in the consulting room I couldn't think of any intelligent questions to ask at all!
I go back on Wednesday for (hopefully) my final results.

Thanks again all of you - I'm now off for a little glass of red wine.

LittleMissNorty Sun 20-Sep-09 19:51:17

Fingers crossed for you - if you have any questions, write them down for Wednesday. I'll help answer any if I can - you may have guessed its my area of work!

LittleMissNorty Sun 20-Sep-09 19:52:39

btw, it does sound like B4 and if its been sent for a 2nd opinion, you can be sure its gone to an absolute expert!

silentcatastrophe Mon 21-Sep-09 12:55:51

I hope you are alright MorphFan! I had an appt booked for MRI tomorrow, which is far too soon and I can't get there without notice. Bloody postal service. It's been moved to October, so I can organise things.

My biopsy went for a 2nd opinion as well. It's hard to know what to ask at least until you have somrthing to ask about.

Harimosmummy Mon 21-Sep-09 13:00:56

Hi,

I had a lump removed a couple of years ago, which was described as 'highly suspicious' - this was because of it's shape and the speed at which it was growing.

I didn't hesitate to have it removed immediately - My mum had BC at 33YO so I wasn't taking any chances. Anyway, it came back completely benign.

I do now go for more regular mamograms though.

I have a 1YO DS and a newborn DD so I really do empathise with you.

Also, I just want to add... My mum had breast cancer at 33YO (she had me and my Dsis so was a young mum too) and had to have a mastectomy and reconstructive surgery.. She is 65YO now and in good health. I just wanted to add that... even if you don't get the result you are praying for, please don't give up hope.

MorphFan Mon 21-Sep-09 22:02:18

LittleMissNorty
I had guessed that yes smile.

At the moment - the one question that is bugging me is - is it really possible that I had an FNA, mammo and u/s that all suggested a 4mm milk cyst. "No probs - but review in 6/52 to be on the safe side".

To summarise very briefly - I then had a second FNA, a vein was nicked causing blood in my breast milk and I had to stop feeding. Within a couple of weeks I had developed two extra large lumpy areas - and I end up where I am today.

Not implying negligence or anything of that sort - just trying to understand how this has all happened?!

silentcatastrophe
Yes - I'm okay thanks. What a huge pain about your MRI. I had the same thing - got a letter about last week's clinic appt the day after the appt! Luckily my hosp send out reminders by text...
God - it's the waiting, waiting, waiting that drives you nuts doesn't it. And I'm only at the beginning - you've had two years of it.

harimosmummy
Absolutely agree with you there - anything that has to be removed can be done as soon as they like!
And lovely to hear about your mum's story too. Obviously am apprehensive about what the next few months might have in store - but I am doing my best to keep positive about the long term.

Once again - thanks all. Mumsnet is quite good isn't it wink

LittleMissNorty Mon 21-Sep-09 22:14:58

Core biopsies are generally thought to be more reliable than FNA's but FNAs sample a lesion very widely. A cyst is very identifiable on USS and easily distinguisahable from a solid lump and the FNA is quite characteristic as well (they usually try to drain the cyst at the same time).

However, when BF, breast tissue is very dense and difficult to interpret on mammo's especially. Stopping feeding will have meant the ducts return to normal size and then any remaining masses may have become more obvious IYSWIM.

I am a scientist, not a doctor, and not a radiologist so please don't take me for everything I say, but that to me seems the most sensible explanation.....ask the same question on Wednesday and see what they say. Imaging on younger people is very difficult - especially lactacting women.

HTH

MorphFan Tue 22-Sep-09 07:08:38

Thanks - I thought you might be in that field. Didn't ask as didn't want to "out" you...
Anyway - that makes sense. So although it appeared the masses rapidly increased in size - it was probably the surrounding ducts, milk etc decreasing.
I did try to ask the question last week - but couldn't formulate my sentences properly!
I know it doesn't make any difference to the outcome - but I feel if I (we) can understand what has happened so far we can move on to the next bit - if that makes sense...

LittleMissNorty Tue 22-Sep-09 08:24:54

Totally understand that. That's one reason why its worth writing your questions down.

Good luck for tomorrow - I'll be thinking of you x

silentcatastrophe Tue 22-Sep-09 11:39:51

I hope it all goes well. The lump in my boob got a lot bigger and became unavoidable. It was found just before I found out I was pg, and I was diagnosed when dd was 1. I had a horrible biopsy the first time which left me very bruised. The next one was by comparison relatively painless.

Harimosmummy Tue 22-Sep-09 18:24:16

Good luck, morphfan. I will be thinking (and praying - if that's your bag) for you.

smile

MorphFan Tue 22-Sep-09 21:18:01

Thank you all.
Off to bed now (keep waking up at silly o'clock so absolutely pooped).
Prayers not generally my bag - but am very happy to be on the receiving end of one just now! smile

Harimosmummy Wed 23-Sep-09 21:07:19

Hey, how are you?

Not being nosey (honest!), just hope you are OK. I so hope you got the answer /result we're all hoping for.

HM x

MorphFan Thu 24-Sep-09 09:30:51

Unfortunately - as I was expecting - not good news.
At least one of my lumps is malignant - exact grading etc still awaited - but they are assuming that all three will be the same.
So - surgery booked for 16th Oct. I have to decided lumpectomy or mastectomy. Then almost certainly chemo - then radiotherapy.
Rather strangely - I feel better now that I know for sure... hmm

LittleMissNorty Thu 24-Sep-09 09:37:31

sad

So sorry to hear that.

Knowing is always better than not knowing....at least you know what you're fighting now.

If you are HER-2 positive, you should be eligible for Herceptin after chemo.

If I can help in any way, please shout. I think there is a thread on MN for women in the same situation as you which may help.

pushmepullyou Thu 24-Sep-09 09:38:40

Hope you don't mind me crashing your thread, but just wanted to say how sorry I am sad.

Good luck with surgery. Will have everything crossed for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now