Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

hay fever sufferers?

(38 Posts)
mummylonglegs Sat 04-Jun-05 21:40:41

Message deleted

foxinsocks Sat 04-Jun-05 21:47:21

I don't know if it has been particularly bad (but I seem to remember you can check in the weather section on the bbc).

I think mine started last Friday (and I'm pretty sure my main allergen is grass pollen). I went to a bbq on Monday where they had just mown the lawn and I felt awful.

My symptoms are - itchy, runny eyes, an awful itchiness at the back of my throat, streaming nose (like you bend forward and a stream of see through liquid runs out!! lovely I know!), sneezy, aching head (but not like I would describe a full headache - it's more like a fuzzy head) and a general feeling of not being well. I also get quite bad at night and find one of my worst times is the early hours of the morning. It also makes me feel generally very woozy.

I don't think mine has got any worse. I'll check the pollen count for you now.

foxinsocks Sat 04-Jun-05 21:48:55

here's the pollen watch on the bbc. It was high in London today apparently. pollen watch

mummylonglegs Sat 04-Jun-05 21:50:33

Message deleted

mummylonglegs Sat 04-Jun-05 21:53:43

Message deleted

foxinsocks Sat 04-Jun-05 22:00:25

weirdly I do but wasn't sure whether it was a hormonal thing. Was thinking of going to GP to get a blood test for thyroid/hormonal stuff because I have been feeling a bit hyper.

I spent 10 years living in a hot country but now find the minute the weather starts to turn warm, I am absolutely baking and have to be dressed in the lightest clothes possible. Just the thought of being on the tube in summer makes me shudder!

mummylonglegs Sat 04-Jun-05 22:19:34

Message deleted

mummylonglegs Sun 05-Jun-05 14:05:25

Message deleted

tamum Sun 05-Jun-05 14:13:39

I used to have all the symptoms you describe, mll. I think the headache is a sinus problem probably, and I always got worse at night. Thankfully I only get it very mildly since moving to Scotland, the years I lived in London were by far the worst. I think it is something that lessens with age though- my mother was realy bad right through her twenties and thirties but got better in her forties, and I'm nowhere near as bad now when Igo back down south. Hang on in there. It's misery, I know.

jampots Sun 05-Jun-05 14:25:47

i suffer very badly every year and i think it has actually got worse over the years. However I will bang on about my food intolerances as this year having eliminated sensitve foods I havent suffered <yet>, normally I start my antihistamine taking in early April. I seriously cant think of anything else that would have simply stopped me having hayfever. Usually by now Im on daily tabs (quite often not even making the 24hours before the next one) and eye drops and inhaler - so far - zero! (well 2 tabs many weeks ago but one I know was definitely because I'd eaten something I shouldnt have and that was on our anniversary (29 March)

Christie Sun 05-Jun-05 14:35:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

littlerach Sun 05-Jun-05 14:44:58

Another suffere here, I hate it!
I get the itchy eyes, runny nose, also itchy ears and throat which are a more recent symptom.
I get it from tree pollen, I think, so slightly earlier than grass. But this year it hasn't been as bad. We moved into the country last summer and I was dreading it, but I've been ok.
Interestingly, the worst was when I lived in the centre of Bath and I ended up with an inhaler.

Does the honey thing work?
How local must it be? How much do you have to have?

I use Piriton but they do knock me out a bit.

pinkmama Sun 05-Jun-05 14:51:41

I get it too, particularly bad with grass pollen, symptoms same as you have all described and worst early evening. What I find really odd, though not complaining, is that when pregnant I dont get it. I am currently on 3rd pregnancy and have been waiting for it to kick in, but nothing. I even walked through a load of long grass on Friday and was around at a friends who I could hardly visit this time last year owing to all the grass near her, and not a single tiny itch or sniffle. Any ideas why? Maybe if I could find out what it is about pg that stops it i could find a way to stop it all the time, cos I certainly arent going to stay pregnant permanently!

kcemum Sun 05-Jun-05 14:58:19

Pinkmama, my hayfever cleared up loads with each of my pregnancies as did my appalling excema. Since my pregnancies I seem to be growing out of hayfever (it only took 30 odd years!!) still waiting to "grow out" of eczema!!

pinkmama Sun 05-Jun-05 15:10:50

kcemum, fortunately my eczema started easing off a few years ago, now only get it if I come into contact with something particularly irritating to my skin (Pantene Shampoo for some reason!) Dont think my hayfever has ever gone back to prepregnancy state, however it has all been superceded by debilitating migraines which have become much more frequent, prolonged and severe after the birth of each child - guess you cant win!

kcemum Sun 05-Jun-05 15:16:41

Pinkmama, grew out of migraines in my late teens, loooong time ago. I wish that my excema and hayfever would have been the other way round, it would be easier to 'put up' with hayfever for the summer rather than excema all year round. (My opinion anyway)

giraffeski Sun 05-Jun-05 15:37:18

Message withdrawn

mummylonglegs Sun 05-Jun-05 21:29:27

Message deleted

giraffeski Sun 05-Jun-05 21:57:50

Message withdrawn

mummylonglegs Sun 05-Jun-05 21:59:42

Message deleted

giraffeski Sun 05-Jun-05 22:03:42

Message withdrawn

mummylonglegs Sun 05-Jun-05 22:20:47

Message deleted

giraffeski Sun 05-Jun-05 22:40:45

Message withdrawn

hub2dee Sun 05-Jun-05 23:15:28

Cheshire honey, Gski ? Is that made near Watford ?

Night.

PS - mll - if you contact your local horticultural / allotment society (they're everywhere, even Bermondsey ! ) they'll know of any local bee keepers.

giraffeski Sun 05-Jun-05 23:21:00

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now