Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hysteroscopy

(4 Posts)
pilates Wed 16-Sep-09 20:16:14

Hi, I am due to have the above because of heavy, painful periods. Has anyone had this procedure and, if so, what can I expect? Is it very painful and did you have a local or general anaesthetic?

whomovedmychocolate Wed 16-Sep-09 20:18:32

I had a general and most people do. It's not painful but afterwards you bleed much like a period for a few days and I have a bit of shoulder pain from where they inflated my uterus with gas. They stick a painkiller up your bum (I kid you not) to help with this though.

Within a few days I was absolutely fine but I felt wiped out from the anaesthetic for about 48 hours. The good thing is they can often fix any problems they find like fibroids, while they do it.

whattheheckdoIdonow Wed 16-Sep-09 22:47:20

I had this just as part of an out patient cinic ~they gave cocodamol painkillers or similar 20 mins before and some local anaesthetic was used I think~it was fine,I felt a little faint at one point[due more to that yucky feeling like you get with a smear test than pain] but it was not too bad and quick.

The point of it was to have a look for any abnormalities,take a small biopsy[painless] and check the thickness of the endometrium[lining of the womb] in case of rarely endometrial cancer being the cause of the bleeding.
A mirena coil can be put in at the same time.

Hope it goes well

pilates Thu 17-Sep-09 12:42:25

Thanks for your replies. I was thinking of requesting a general as if they have to do anything it will be done and dusted in one go. I know if they find polyps I would have to have a general as been told it is very painful to have them removed with just a local.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now