Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any homeopaths about please? colocynth and gaviscon ok together?

(18 Posts)
olivo Wed 16-Sep-09 20:03:17

DD is 4 weeks old and i've been using colocynth to sort out wind/colic. she also has reflux and i would like to give her the infant gaviscon she was prescribed, also last week. is ok to use both?

TIA!

alypaly Wed 16-Sep-09 20:57:01

no evidence available in any medical text books about herbal and homeopathic preps and other precribable medications. Its at you own risk.

olivo Thu 17-Sep-09 08:07:51

thanks alypaly. I will go to the pharmacy today and ask the chap as he does both conventional and homeopathic medicines.

TheBalladofGayTony Thu 17-Sep-09 08:09:47

if it is homeopathic i.e. disolved a million billion times yes you can take them together as it is just water. otherwise it is a fairly nutty thing to use on a baby.

olivo Thu 17-Sep-09 08:19:44

i hope it's fine for a baby! its 30c which i dont think is very strong and was given by the homeopathic pharmacist who knew how old DD is.

MrMakerForExample Thu 17-Sep-09 08:24:34

How about just giving her the Gaviscon? Worked great when we did for DS1.

LaurieFairyCake Thu 17-Sep-09 08:25:30

I thought 30c was the strongest stuff.

That one will have been diluted the most and bashed against the leather and horse tail the most.

liath Thu 17-Sep-09 08:28:15

Water won't interact with gaviscon. Homeopathic remedies are water. You need not worry.

ClaudiaSchiffer Thu 17-Sep-09 08:41:46

Homeopathy is, (ummm how to say this politely . . . ?) utter bollocks fairly mild stuff, so wont interfere with any conventional medicine.

olivo Thu 17-Sep-09 09:08:40

grin i see we have some non believers grin

thank you all. i may try the gaviscon on its own but with DD1, it made the wind worse.
ANd that's if DD2 takes it, i rememebr most of it ending up being spat out ( and that was on the rare occasion she didnt fall asleep so got none anyway!)

alypaly Thu 17-Sep-09 10:28:03

olivo ..if the pharmacist says its ok I would love to know where he is getting his info from as there are no clinical trials linking homeopathic and conventional meds. If he says they are ok he is doing that off his own back. I jave been in pharmacy for 35 years and they cannot make that statement with the exception of st johns wort which has caused serious problems with anti depressants

alypaly Thu 17-Sep-09 10:50:44

cololcynth is a really strong purgative ...i.e. it is a bowel irritant and can cause the severe diarrhoea. If you give babies bowel irritants at such a young age you can make their bowel really lazy(long term) and cause them to need increasing doses of laxatives. Thats what happens with the elderly people too.. Is your gp looking into reflux...has she got projectile vomiting. There are milder things like Colief drops and infacol and dentinox colic drops which might help. You can get these on prescription too. smile

BitOfFun Thu 17-Sep-09 10:53:41

Don't worry about the Cololcynth though because there is maybe one molecule of the stuff in a homeopathic tablet at MOST. If it was the proper stuff, aye, bad idea!

olivo Thu 17-Sep-09 12:18:55

yikes, don't like the sound of that. the situation is resolved for now as i can't find the flipping tiny bottle of colocynth! i am going to go ahead with the gaviscon on its own and see how we go. Gp prescribed the gaviscon, said to see if it worked. will be updating at 6 week check. DD1 had it too from a similar age.
tried the infacol, didnt seem to do anything but make her more sick. will bear the others in mind, thanks.

thanks everyone, for all your help.

BitOfFun Thu 17-Sep-09 12:29:58

Ah, infacol...Or DoesFacAll as I used to know it as grin

alypaly Thu 17-Sep-09 12:58:51

BOF...guess it works for some but its hard to give 20 mins b4 a feed so sometimes if its not given at the right time it doesnt work.... Some of the patients mums swear by Colief drops tho

BitOfFun Thu 17-Sep-09 13:17:42

I always thought these things were completely inert and invented so you would try one a fortnight until the colic stage wore off after 12 weeks <big cynic> grin

alypaly Thu 17-Sep-09 18:25:44

i would try anything...fortunately mine are now 16 and 21 but DS1 had colic and projectile vomiting. I tried everything[hmm}

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now