Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Advice about a tear in my toe nail, please.

(14 Posts)
brokenspacebar Wed 16-Sep-09 11:54:28

My toe was really sore walking home yesterday and when I checked it I notice a rip, about 1 cm from the cuticle, going from the side of my toe nail to the middle.... it is horrible, what can I do?

I am wondering if I should tape it up/glue it somehow?

KnickersandVests Wed 16-Sep-09 11:59:17

You could, if it's really painful, go and have it repaired by a nail technician.

She could layer up some glue and silk wraps(if they still use them, it's been a looong time since I've had anything like this done) to protect it until the tear grows out.

It shouldn't cost more than a couple of quid.

brokenspacebar Wed 16-Sep-09 12:18:43

thank you knickers... do they have nail technicians in the far north east of Scotland?

brokenspacebar Wed 16-Sep-09 12:35:21

bump

KnickersandVests Wed 16-Sep-09 12:57:39

I would have bumping is what you got into this trouble in the first place.

smile

brokenspacebar Wed 16-Sep-09 14:20:42

lol knickers!

I think it was because I wore a pair of boots yesterday, but with tights instead of socks, my feet were slipping.... and well I don't want to think about it too much, it is a bit yuck! I have stuck a plaster on for the time being.

I have tried googling and there was lots of advice about dogs toenails <no comment>.

lynniep Wed 16-Sep-09 14:25:33

ah, this happens to me quite a lot.well, at least once a year either on my toe or on a finger nail. I'm unlucky that way...

I just cut the toenail as far down as comfortable so theres nothing to snag, then tape it up (with surgical padding and tape) and wait for it to grow. which takes forever. Replace the dressing every day and try to leave it off at night to let your toe, um, 'air'

however if I could be ars*d (or had thought of it LOL) I would have tried a nail technicial to repair the rip.

brokenspacebar Wed 16-Sep-09 14:29:29

I am tempted by the nail technician idea, but I have never been near one so I am not sure... the thought of waiting for it to grow out...it might be okay by Christmas maybe? It is such a low down tear/rip type thing.

I will get dh to pick up some surgical tape on his way home.

lynniep Wed 16-Sep-09 14:36:54

yeah I know - toenails especially take FOREVER. But I can't see any other option other than to protect it because the pain if it rips off - well ooooooh!

You could I suppose get some do-it-yourself nail glue type stuff from a kit at the chemist.

I really dont know much about that stuff either - I dont go to get my nails done. I have some false ones done once for a wedding (not willingly - the bride paid and insisted I have cm long talons - twas a nightmare I tell you!)
This was in the US - and they were permanent. They use filler to fill in the gap between where the stick on nail starts and the base of your original nail. It was like rock and I had to wait for that to grow out too. That might be a solution but not sure if it would 'hold' over a break.

brokenspacebar Wed 16-Sep-09 18:34:38

Thank you lynniep, trying to block the thought of it ripping off completely shock, the pain and the weird feeling of having a bald toe, it freaks me out really.... contemplating the rock hard nail thing you mentioned.

MrsMagnolia Wed 16-Sep-09 19:51:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Littlefish Wed 16-Sep-09 19:57:34

I was going to suggest superglue too. I've used it on nails which have broken too far down.

brokenspacebar Thu 17-Sep-09 10:29:12

cheers ladies... might get dh to help me with that idea!

morethan1 Fri 25-Sep-09 20:42:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now