Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I had a smear test today and now am worried. Please can someone come here and talk to me before I google?

(12 Posts)
BennyAndJoon Wed 16-Sep-09 11:28:21

When she did the smear there was blood on the thing. Not my period. I mentioned it in a surprised "is that normal?" was but she said no but then just glossed over it.

Any ideas?

I will google if not...

AddictedtoCrunchies Wed 16-Sep-09 11:29:16

Google it but don't get too carried away with the results. Hopefully someone with a bit more nonce will turn up soon.

StealthPolarBear Wed 16-Sep-09 11:29:58

I've bled after a smear before I'm sure. Bet she was justa bit rough but didn't want to tell you that!

thedollshouse Wed 16-Sep-09 11:31:17

I'm not so sure that it isn't normal. My last 2 smears were both very painful and afterwards there was blood in my underwear, I had never experienced that before. Both smears turned out to be normal.

Cluckadoodledoo Wed 16-Sep-09 11:32:16

Have always bled and never had a problem!

CrazyPregnant Wed 16-Sep-09 11:32:31

I had that too- she said she could see some blood there after she put in speculum. She said it could be a number of things- she could have scraped me or it could be from intercourse the previous day. She wasn't worried- the only thing is that quite often it cause th smaer to be inconclusive- so I had to go back 4 weeks later for it to be redone.

Seeline Wed 16-Sep-09 11:33:39

I bled after my last one - I think it's since they started using those mini toothbrush-type things instead of the old wooden spatula. I agree with Stealth.

KnickersandVests Wed 16-Sep-09 11:37:11

She could have been a bit rough, you could just have a sensitive cervix.

You could have a slight ectropian. Do you ever bleed after sex?

Ectropians are really quite common, particularly with women on the pill. Basically it's where, because of the extra hormones, some of the lining of your womb grows outside of your cervix. Your cervix looks as though it's pouting.

They're quite easy to fix, I had mine done last month. The gynaecologist cauterized it with silver nitrate. That sounds A LOT worse than it is.

A bit of discomfort and some cramps but now no bleeding.

If you are worried. Make another appointment with your GP or nurse, thats what they are there for.

Your cervix and vagina are very vascula so it only takes one little scratch to get quite a bit of blood. I would bet it was down to the speculum scratching/rubbing the delicate tissue and nothing to worry about.

BennyAndJoon Wed 16-Sep-09 11:41:28

Thank you all for the reassurance smile

I have never bled before, so was a bit taken aback.

I did bleed a little bit after sex a while ago KandV, so if it happens again I will look into that. Not on the pill though.

I will wait for the results and then maybe see one of the MOs.

BellaNoir Wed 16-Sep-09 11:52:44

Yes, it does happen - we have lots of samples arrive into the lab with varying amounts of blood in them.
As the other posters has said it's due to a number of factors:
1. the cervex broom used to take the sample scrapes cells from the cervix, so this can cause a little bleeding
2. if you have an ectropian (which many women will, its due to the hormones making your cervix bigger and changes it's shape slightly), the 'skin' is thinner, and so the tiny blood vessels are readily accessible and can bleed when the sample is taken.

So don't worry but if you have PCBs (post coital bleeds) or bleeding at random times then you should see the GP.

StealthPolarBear Wed 16-Sep-09 11:57:50

yes, in fact it needed repeating as the blood contsminated the sample, as Bella says.
Bella's post is very reassuring, glad you're not too worried any more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now