Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Just decided to have the POP injection for my heavy periods and contraception...(bit long)

(4 Posts)
becaroo Wed 16-Sep-09 09:38:56

..and I was wondering if anyone could tell me a bit more about it?

I have had really bad periods since forever and after my ds2 was born last year they have been horrendous...1 week of black discharge (sorry of tmi!) and then 1 week of heavy bleeding every month sad

I was referred for a scan and they have found a very small fibroid but not big enough to do anything about. I dont like the idea of a coil or an op (uterine ablation) so have elected for the POP injection (cant have the other combined pill as I get hemiplegic migraines).

Do the periods get better straight away? Are they less heavy? Are there any side effects?

Also, if any of you have been diagnosed with fibriods, did you go for regular chieck ups afterwards? THe GP sadi nothing about keeping an eye on mine.. hmm

Thanks!

Seona1973 Wed 16-Sep-09 11:39:14

I had constant spotting for 6 months with the depo injection and stopped having them. I also put on hundreds of weight. Hope it works out for you though!! I now use the cerazette mini-pill and havent had a period for at least 1 1/2 years.

Ewe Wed 16-Sep-09 11:46:44

I had no periods instantly - did put on four stone though!

Fraochsmum Wed 16-Sep-09 11:56:23

Not sure if this was the same contraceptive injection I was on some time ago, but I got it every 3 months. My periods were never a problem but they stopped right away. I didn't gain any weight, but my libido completely disappeared - fantastic contraception in that respect!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now