Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

pulled muscle in my neck - can't move my head!

(11 Posts)
rachw1 Tue 15-Sep-09 19:08:37

So this morning the cat bit my daughter at 6am while I was asleep, she screamed in a melodramatic fashion (the cat only has 3 teeth, he can't exactly savage anyone) and I woke up with a start.

Leaping out of bed seems to have caused me to pull a muscle in my neck, by 11am the pain was making me cry (and I'm not a wimp with pain) and I went to minor injuries. They confirmed it as a pulled muscle and gave me horse strength painkillers - after convincing themselves that I wasn't a victim of domestic violence and that my bizarre "child being bitten by toothless cat causing neck injury" story was true.

It really hurts. I have torn my hamstring and popped my kneecap out of place in the past and this is up there with those injuries for pain. Even with painkillers if I try and move my head at all it is excruciating. Does anyone have any idea how long this is likely to go on for? Or any ideas as to what I can do to ease it?

Rachel

DesperateHousewifeToo Tue 15-Sep-09 19:29:52

Hot water bottle or one of those microwaveable wheat sacs.

I was going to suggest ibuprofen but as the hospital have prescribed painkillers already, maybe not.

I often wake up with a 'cricked neck' (medical termhmm) and find moving it around and neurofen work wonders but don't think i'm pulling muscles.

loopylou6 Tue 15-Sep-09 21:34:07

I did this a month ago, i know how painful it is so i do sympathise, your likely to be like this for about 3 days...i was anyway, deffo try hotwater bottle it will soothe it a little.

geraldinetheluckygoat Tue 15-Sep-09 21:37:10

no advice, but sympathies, hope it gets better soon

LackaDAISYcal Tue 15-Sep-09 21:43:44

Poor You sad. I had a whiplash type injury last year and the pain was excruciating, so you have my sympathy.

I know a pulled muscle is different to a spasming one, but I found a lavender wheat bag draped round my neck to be nice and soothing. could you also use something like voltarol gel on it (you can but this OTC now) as well as taking your painkillers?.....provided they aren't diclofenac or similar of course.

poorbuthappy Tue 15-Sep-09 22:01:49

Big sympathy from me...I did this last year whilst rather pregnant so no industrial strength painkillers for me...

I did it on the saturday afternoon...by sunday night it had eased enough for me to sleep...

I have to say that it was 1 of the most painful experiences of my life...I cried non stop for 24 hours...

kreecherlivesupstairs Wed 16-Sep-09 07:55:49

Get a tens machine. I have spondylosis (thanks dad) and it really helps. Alternate ice and heat may help too.

deepbreath Wed 16-Sep-09 13:44:07

I have spondylosis too. If I end up twanging my neck like this, Deep Heat is one of the few things that helps, even if it smells horrible!

If you find that your head is dropping forwards and putting strain on your neck, roll a towel up and pop it under your chin for support.

moodlumthehoodlum Wed 16-Sep-09 13:45:52

an osteopath I once went to said that ice is better than heat in relieving things like this. So frozen peas are my recommendation.

bargainhuntingbetty Wed 16-Sep-09 13:46:47

Depending on what painkillers they gave you it may be advisabole to take paracetamol too as they may only have given you an anti inflamitory drug which does nothing for the actual pain, it only reduces swelling, what did they give you?

rachw1 Wed 16-Sep-09 15:47:12

I have co-dydramol (which has paracetamol in), naproxen and after going back to the doctor this morning after the night from hell diazepam.

I'm trying to work, deal with emails and stuff, so haven't taken the diazepam yet as I'm feeling a bit woolly with the painkillers as it is. It might help if tonight is as bad as last night though :/

Thanks for all the advice and experiences, it is so sore that its hard to imagine it ever getting better at the moment. So annoying to end up like this from just waking up with a start!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now