Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Has anyone ever managed to speed up their period by taking aspirin?

(13 Posts)
InMyLittleHead Tue 15-Sep-09 18:53:07

I read that aspirin increases blood-flow, so was wondering if taking it during your period would make the flow heavier but, seeing as there's a finite amount of blood in their, shorter. Thoughts?

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 15-Sep-09 19:19:54

I don't think trying to mess around with your blood clotting is a terribly good idea I'm afraid.

SausageRocket Tue 15-Sep-09 19:32:44

AFAIK it wouldn't make any difference to the blood in your womb as it is a lining that is shed, it isn't like the fresh blood in your veins. The blood in your veins would thin but given that the lining of your womb is made up of older blood it would have already have been produced and deposited before you started your course of asprin.

CybilLiberty Tue 15-Sep-09 19:33:46

Tranexamic Acid reduces period blood flow quite substantially if you are looking for that sort of thing..

Jujubean77 Tue 15-Sep-09 19:35:34

what sausage said, don't do it.

kreecherlivesupstairs Tue 15-Sep-09 20:42:39

how exactly? There is a finite amount of sponge to be got rid of from your uterus, nothng will cause it to be shed prematuerly. I wouldn't be willing to lose a day or two's bleeding at the expense of my general health.

InMyLittleHead Tue 15-Sep-09 21:08:28

I don't see how it can affect my general health when it's only aspirin. But you're probably right about it not being 'proper' blood, so aspirin not likely to do much to speed it up.

scroobiuspirate Tue 15-Sep-09 22:06:46

it's like emptying a bag. won't make any odds.

mablemurple Tue 15-Sep-09 22:21:04

What do you mean by "only aspirin". It is a drug with plenty of side effects. Just because it is widely available and does not mean that you should abuse it and take it when you don't need to.
see here.

fortyplus Tue 15-Sep-09 22:23:21

Funnily enough I had all sorts of problems with heavy periods and consultant said don't use aspirin for pain relief it will increase the flow! I was really surprised - like others I had always thought it was a finite amount but he said not. And he's a gynaecologist so I guess he would know.

bigchris Tue 15-Sep-09 22:27:09

it thins the blood doesnt it? so would speed it up and prevent clotting
why do you want to btw? are you off on hol or ttc?

cheesesarnie Tue 15-Sep-09 22:27:22

i was told not to take aspirin for periods by a college lecturer(no idea why,i studied art)something to do with lining of wonb and clottinghmm. dont know but ive never used it.

why would you want to anyway?

InMyLittleHead Tue 15-Sep-09 23:13:49

I can't control my period because I've got a copper coil, so if a period comes at the wrong time it screws everything up. So figured the next best thing would be to speed it up once it had arrived.

Curious as to how flow can be infinite, but bodies are weird things and I suppose a gyn consultant would know better than me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now