Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Heavy periods - Tranexamic Acid

(61 Posts)
funkycool Tue 15-Sep-09 17:46:04

My Doctor has prescribed the above for my heavy periods which have made me anaemic. Feel reluctant to take them as I've never taken anything other than paracetamol before. Has anyone taken/does take these? If so, have you experienced any side effects? Thanks.

cece Tue 15-Sep-09 17:50:40

I have them. No side effects that I noticed apart from periods that are light enough to cope with in a reasonable manner.

funkycool Tue 15-Sep-09 17:59:22

Thanks cece. Do you take 6 a day? How many days to you take them for?

mears Tue 15-Sep-09 18:01:38

I used it and found it fab with no side effects. Periods have settled down again so I don't need it any more. Started taking it on first day of period if I remember correctly.

mears Tue 15-Sep-09 18:03:23

bit of info about taking them

funkycool Tue 15-Sep-09 18:13:40

Thanks mears. Reassuring re. no side effects.

Spoo Tue 15-Sep-09 18:21:43

I have Mefanamic Acid - is it the same? I also have a Mirena coil which has reduced the flow.

frankie3 Tue 15-Sep-09 18:24:36

I took this, but it made no difference to me. My Doctor told me that it does not reduce the flow, it just makes the blood clot more so that the flow appears less. I obviously had enough clots already! Has anyone else been told this?

funkycool Tue 15-Sep-09 20:53:24

spoo - I've not heard of Mefanamic Acid. Perhaps someone else might know about this?

frankie3- interesting, I think I will just have to see how it goes!

annabelcaramel Tue 15-Sep-09 20:58:42

I took it in conjunction with mefenamic acid. I ended up anaemic with a blood count of 7 (half what it should ideally be). 4 ops and a few years of misery later I finally had my fibroids diagnosed, removed, and had dc. No probs since. Well, no period probs, whole new set of life issues instead!!!

nigglewiggle Tue 15-Sep-09 21:00:26

I think Mefanamic Acid works in a different was because I couldn't be prescribed Tranexamic Acid because I've had a DVT and clotting agents are not a good idea. I'm afraid I don't actually know how it is supposed to work and I decided not to take it and things have settled on their own.

EldonAve Tue 15-Sep-09 21:00:28

Like annabelcaramel I take it with mefenamic acid
It works reasonably well for me

I had it prescribed by the gynae though so they had already checked for fibroids etc

Pannacotta Tue 15-Sep-09 21:02:30

I have used Ponstan which is quite good, it contains mefenamic acid, dont think it has any side effects.
Some info here
www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100002100.html

CarGirl Tue 15-Sep-09 21:05:23

I find the tranexamic acid really helps but the pharmacist said to not take it with ibuprofen because elsewhere in the body the 2 taken together can cause excessive blood loss if you get a cut etc.

Although it makes my period more managable I am still very fed up with a full 7 day period and am tempted to ask for referral for something more drastic.

annabelcaramel Tue 15-Sep-09 21:09:28

Being anaemic makes you lose more blood too, so it's a vicious circle. I would really urge you to get a diagnosis if possible, take iron tablets and multi vitamins and rest when you can. It is not exactly a 'sexy' medical problem to have but it can ruin your life and make you feel dreadful. And I speak as one who once drove home in her bf's grey y-fronts after a really nasty bleed in Ikea. Horror on so many levels.

cece Tue 15-Sep-09 22:15:54

Yes take 2 tablets 3 times a day when period at heaviest. So for me about 3 days of tablets per month.

funkycool Tue 15-Sep-09 22:18:36

Thanks everyone for your replies.

annabelcarmel - sounds like you've had a rough time of it. I was found to be severely anaemic 6 months ago after several blackouts. I took iron tablets for a few weeks but they made me very ill, so I've just been trying as best I can to keep my levels up with herbal iron. I'm just about managing it but my heavy periods aren't helping.

funkycool Tue 15-Sep-09 22:19:10

Thanks cece.

alypaly Wed 16-Sep-09 00:58:51

if you are not getting any side effects dont worry about the patient leaflet. They are only possibilities, they wont necessarily happen to you. The only frequent one is tummy upsets.

EldonAve Wed 16-Sep-09 07:17:45

They can prescribe alternative forms of iron for you

Are you having any investigation to see why you are anaemic?

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 16-Sep-09 09:33:41

funkycool

Tsk at your GP.

Doc should really be referring you to a gynae. Tranexamic acid is but a short term measure but importantly does not address or even begin to solve WHY you are getting such problems in the first place. Treatment for the symptoms is fine but they really should be seeking the cause as well.

Fibroids can cause heavy bleeding (and anaemia as a result); this should be investigated further. Many GPs are next to useless when it comes to dealing with such problems, I would be seriously asking for a referral to a gynae consultant and not taking no for an answer.

alypaly Wed 16-Sep-09 11:38:09

many gp's are useless full stop.

sorry to you "good" ones

cece Wed 16-Sep-09 12:31:25

I would add that my GP sent me for a scan to check for fibroids at the same time as I was prescribed the tablets. Mine was all clear so think I am just an unlucky one who gets heavy periods. Getting a Mirena coil fitted in a couple of weeks, so hoping to not get them any more!

funkycool Wed 16-Sep-09 17:15:13

eldonave - do you know what alternative forms of iron there are?

attila - I have had a few investigations as to why I'm anaemic but not all. I had a cervical smear, a pelvic ultrasound and a transvaginal ultrasound - all clear.

I have been unwell over the past 6 months and have had some other tests too not related to the anaemia. I keep meaning to post a new thread but it's such a long and exhausting story that I keep putting it off. I've never been ill before so it has all been a bit stressful.

EldonAve Wed 16-Sep-09 17:36:05

It might be worth asking to see a haematologist

Liquid iron is one option - sytron is the stuff I was given

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now