Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Think i`ve got labarythitis - cant get docs appt and am so so dizzy

(10 Posts)
shamefulx Tue 15-Sep-09 09:53:40

I`ve got a really busy day and i cant even walk in a straight line .
I had to steady myself on my daughter walking into school and its awful . Every time i move my head the room spins and its making me feel sick too >
I have to chair a meeting in an hour and a half and drive the kids later - i have no family to help and would appreciate any tips on getting through this cos i feel like i`ve had 2 bottles of wine ! x

millenniumfalcon Tue 15-Sep-09 09:58:03

you have my sympathy, i have this and it keeps coming back, although rarely very badly unless i'm ill or very short of sleep.

keep away from screens, makes it worse. obviously try not to do lots of head turning. personally i'd be looking at getting a taxi rather than driving

sometimes eating helps the nausea for me, sometimes it doesn't.

MagNacarta Tue 15-Sep-09 10:00:19

I had it very badly for six week once and it returns mildly from time to time. When it's mild the doctor prescribes travel sickness medicine, can you get to a chemist and get some? To be honest it doesn't sound like you should be doing anything right now, certainly not driving or chairing a meeting.

shamefulx Tue 15-Sep-09 10:05:08

I`ve taken a 10 mg stemetil tab - 6 weeks !

This is 1 meeting i have to be at but will have to collect children as they go to school out of county - i`ll see if i can think of something. Thanks for your replies.

millenniumfalcon Tue 15-Sep-09 10:20:48

some unlucky people have it for years.

if it's not crippling i've read that it's better not to take the medications available as they can interfere with your inner ear learning to compensate.

CoffeeCrazedMama Tue 15-Sep-09 10:26:17

Shamefulx - so sorry you have this horrid condition. My dh (never normally ill) got it last year and it was awful. He was really worried when the doc said it can last ages, but he responded really well to the drugs she prescribed and it actually 'only' lasted a week. Fingers crossed for you that you are the same.

potplant Tue 15-Sep-09 10:30:57

My DH has suffered with this on and off for nearly a year. Its awful.

He takes Buccastem when it gets bad. Its available OTC. persist with the doctor though, he had an MRI scan to rule out anything more serious. They gave him some exercises to do to help him cope with feeling dizzy. He says it helps.

hotcrossbunny Tue 15-Sep-09 10:45:25

I've had this for years and am sending my sympathies. Hope you're quickly back to normal, but I'd persist in trying to see the doctor. Funnily enough I find actual driving fine, although it makes me very tired. The meeting will be really hard work - I find peppermints help to keep the nausea at bay. Good luck!

shamefulx Tue 15-Sep-09 20:06:40

Well i felt ok for the meeting after some stemetil but bad again about 3 .
Took 5 mgs stemetil and it didn`t do anything..
I feel terrible-worse at times . Does it normally come is bouts -i`m terrible for about an hour and then can get up and very slowly do things, but having to steady myself on the walls and easily fall/trip.
Is it really this bad because i keep worryiing that really something much worse is going on.
At times i cant even move my head an inch because of the overwhelming dizzyness and nausea.
Tjhanks for your replies-its reassuring because this is horrid .x

TheDMshouldbeRivened Tue 15-Sep-09 20:13:09

its a nasty thing. I get bouts of it and do take stemetil and stay lying down. its anything from 2 to 4 days for me.
Hope it passes soon. it really is a horrible thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now