Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How do they take the staples out?

(5 Posts)
ohnelly Mon 14-Sep-09 11:11:14

Hi im at home after breaking my ankle just over a week ago. Had op to put pins and plates in which they then kindly closed up with staples (about 25 of them I think), before putting it in plaster. Anyway im due to have staples taken out this week before being replastered and sent home for another 4 weeks.
So what I want to know is:-

How do they get the staples out & does it hurt?
Why didnt they just give me bloody stitches?

stanausauruswrecks Mon 14-Sep-09 11:19:53

They use a staple remover grin - looks like this
I've taken loads out, and never had any complaints of pain.
Staples V Sutures, usually down to the surgeon's preference.

dippica Mon 14-Sep-09 13:18:37

Had staples in my tum after I had to have a bowel obstruction removed. All very horrible, but nurse came to remove staples, and it was very quick, easy and not painful.
And much more comfy once the damn things were out.

HTH

skihorse Mon 14-Sep-09 16:43:57

I had 89 taken out of my abdomen last year - it didn't really "hurt" but my eyes were definitely watering and it "pinched". I made the doctor talk to me constantly to try and deflect my attention from it.

ohnelly Mon 14-Sep-09 20:50:56

oh doesnt sound too bad. And I will be glad when they are out too. Skihorse 89!!! poor you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now