Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sciatica anyone?

(19 Posts)
Kathrina Sun 13-Sep-09 21:29:10

I put a thread on here a while back about pelvic and back pain i had been having after going to the GP and being 'diagnosed' with sciatica i am not better i have had the pain for nearly 4 weeks and it is now worse in my pelvis. I am annoyed that i have been given 100 co-codamol and that is it! Does anyone else suffer from this and if you do how do you cope? Thanks

creditcrunched Sun 13-Sep-09 21:43:41

My dh suffers from sciatica. He gave up on the pills and now has a deep tissue massage on the affected (or causatory) area every fortnight and it keeps it at bay.

If he has a really bad bout, he goes to the osteopath for a couple of sessions and then continues with the dtm. Its not a cheap option, as not available on the NHS, but seems to do the trick.

Hope your's gets better.

magso Mon 14-Sep-09 09:08:34

I go to a chiropractor regularly. It is rather costly but the only thing that seems to work for me.

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 14-Sep-09 10:55:26

I have a shockingly lax spine and my l5/s1 disc often prolapses. The only relief I get is from my TENS machine, but, I have a diagnosis. I would go back to the doctor and ask for either a diagnois (sciatica is such a catch all term)or a referral to someone who can give you the necessary info. One other point, beware of the cocodamol. It does contain some codeine which is both addictive and constipating.

Kathrina Mon 14-Sep-09 10:59:39

I have not bothered to get the co-codamol. I am trying to stick to paracetamol or ibuprofen. Do you get pelvic pain with Sciatica? As this is now getting much worse and i have pain across the bottom of my stomach. Thanks.

fatzak Mon 14-Sep-09 11:12:23

I suffered with a bad back last year and it was only going to the osteopath that sorted it out. Turns out that my pelvis was out of balance and so I was putting more pressure on my right side, and as a result the sciatic nerve had got trapped and I was in utter agony. I have never ever known pain like it - I passed out trying to sit on the loo blush and think I'd still be suffering if it was up to the GP.

MrsDinky Mon 14-Sep-09 11:41:27

I have had chronic sciatic pain in the left leg/pelvis for about 8 years, the thing that has helped me most is orthotic inserts in shoes, presumably my posture was the cause. I had tried chiropractic, acupuncture and all sorts of back supports / different chairs at work, nothing else really worked. Took a few weeks to get used to the inserts, they made my feet ache a lot at first, but now I have very little pain. Mine are just the bog standard ones from Boots.

Bleatblurt Mon 14-Sep-09 11:44:11

I suffer from sciatica too. I have spina bifida so my back is pretty much buggered and also my right leg - which of course is the one that gets affected! I've not been given any advice from GP about what to do about it - it was talked about as if it was a given considering my other problems. sad

Kathrina Mon 14-Sep-09 12:05:33

The only thing i can put it down to is when i was 9 mths pregnant i had a nasty fall on my right side. My GP said to rest which i did and a few days later i had my 9lb daughter but also i think it may be the fact i also carry her a lot on my right hip she is 3. Hopefully when she gets to nursery this Thurs she will walk further. It is driving me bonkers now and making me quite miserable as i cant really rest as i have to get kids from school do housework etc......

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 14-Sep-09 12:17:25

I don't think that you get pain in the pelvis from sciatica, not even refered pain. Do go back to the GP and demand explainations. It's what you pay your taxes for.

Kathrina Mon 14-Sep-09 12:21:21

I have googled sciatica and there is no mention of pelvic pain. I am just fed up with going to my GP as soon as you walk through the door he is tapping on his computer getting a prescription ready for you before you have opened your mouth. One of the other GP's never has an appointment so i am just suffering i was considering going to my walk-in-centre but do not know if they deal with things like this? Sorry to moan i just get so frustrated when i cant do things properly because of pain x

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 14-Sep-09 13:23:53

Could you book two appointments so he knows you mean business. if this is affecting your life to the extent it seems to be, he should be taking you seriously. Another possibility, could you take a friend/man other person for moral support? You really shouldn't be in pain still.

fatzak Mon 14-Sep-09 13:28:08

Just thought - has your GP tested you for a urinary tract infection? I know that mine did when I had my back pain and especially as you are having pain in your pelvis it might be worth asking about?

Kathrina Mon 14-Sep-09 16:17:47

No i havent been checked for a UTI the GP really is rubbish. It doesnt hurt when i go to the toilet but sorry for this TMI it does hurt when i have sex. I have swapped surgeries i go for my new patient check next Mon so i am going to speak to the GP there to see if they may help and they also have female GP's at this surgery too as they dont at my current one.

I did the call the walk in centre but they are no use they said do not deal with that sort of prob and as i have already been to my GP i should go back there and they do not diagnose over the phone.

vacaloca Mon 14-Sep-09 16:37:50

Kathrina, can you possibly afford to go to a chiropractor? I suffered with SPD (symphisis pubis dysfunction) throughout all my three pregnancies and the pain was similar to what you describe, in my pelvis mainly but it also affected the sciatica nerve. For the first two pregnancies I just suffered and could hardly move, but during the last I decided to visit a chiropractor and she sorted me out. Both the pelvic pain and sciatica would disappear for up to 2 weeks and then I went for another treatment. It sounds to me as if you migth have messed something up when you fell over and it's now being accerbated by carrying your DC on your hip (you should stop that asap, btw). I really wouldn't trust the GP to come up with any solution so if you can possibly afford it, do try a chiropractor. It really changed my life.

vacaloca Mon 14-Sep-09 16:38:27

SPD is now called Pelvic Girdle Pain, in case you want to look it up.

Kathrina Tue 15-Sep-09 18:25:27

Hello everyone just to let you know i have been to the Emergency Docs last night as i couldnt take the pain anymore and i have a pelvic infection and have been put on anti-biotics thank you all for your help and advice x

MrsDinky Tue 15-Sep-09 19:57:38

Oh, that is a shocker isn't it, fancy being told it was sciatica! I hope it starts getting better very soon.

ABetaDad Tue 15-Sep-09 20:10:22

One thing I have found with sciatica is that when my bowels are feeling upset or I have eaten certain foods I get sciatica. My mother gets it in a similar way. The sciatic nerve is connected to bowel and bladder function.

I find a good excercise is to lay on my front on the carpet with my legs apart and the inside leg and inside edge of my knees and feet flat on the carpet with a couple of cushions under my chest so my back is arched backwards.

I do it while watching TV, reading a book or using a laptop and find laying like that for an hour or so at a time several times a day does help a lot as it takes the pressure off the nerve.

Be careful taking co-codomol though as it can do damage to your stomach and intestine after a while.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now