Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

does anyone give their kids Joy-Rides to prevent travel sickness?

(10 Posts)
ssd Sun 13-Sep-09 16:38:17

do they work ok?

for a boy of 11...

do they make them SLEEPY?

CuppaTeaJanice Sun 13-Sep-09 16:43:21

Eugghhhh! Just reading the thread title makes me want to vomit!!

I took them at about this age, and I don't remember them making me sleepy. But either they don't always work or the effect wears off after a while, hence I associate them with being sick. I remember barfing as soon as I put one in my mouth once because of the memories of previous journeys and the nasty orange flavour. We got some sea bands after that incident. Worked much better!!

smile

Wilts Sun 13-Sep-09 16:45:14

Ds1(12) has them and they have never made him sleepy.

Ds1 has just done a long day trip to France with school with coach and ferry and was fine after taking joy rides.

ssd Sun 13-Sep-09 16:59:57

thanks, can you tell me how many your ds took? my ds is going on a 3-4 hour bus journey and he's a rotten traveller, I want to give him the maximum dose. the lady in Boots said take 1 before travel and take another 1 if he feels sick during the travel, but I wonder if I should just give him 2 before travel?
thanks!

said Sun 13-Sep-09 17:03:06

Are they the same as Kwells? They seem to work (could all be in the mind, of course, but who cares if it's one less pukey car to clean up)

CybilLiberty Sun 13-Sep-09 17:06:03

My dh's friend swears by this method to prevent travel sickness..his Dad used to put a folded up piece of kitchen roll under his tee shirt against his tummy and told him it would stop him feeling sick. Lo and behold, he never felt sick again, as long as he had the kitchen roll .

wotmum Sun 13-Sep-09 17:07:24

I found Kwells much better than Joyrides

Wilts Sun 13-Sep-09 17:10:45

Ds takes the max dosage. I am not sure about other brands, I am sure we have only used joyrides.

Ponders Sun 13-Sep-09 17:11:31

We've found Traveleeze very effective - they taste good, & you can take them the night before travelling as they work for 24 hours

ssd Sun 13-Sep-09 19:45:58

he usually takes traveleeze but they make him very sleepy and I wanted to avoid the sleepiness as they are straight into the activities when they get there

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now