Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any opticians able to help with a NHS vouchers towards the cost of specs question?

(12 Posts)
dizietsma Sat 12-Sep-09 17:20:32

DH gets WTC so I get NHS vouchers towards the cost of my glasses. I'm very short-sighted so have to get 'em thinned etc so still pay a good 50 quid for each pair. I got a new pair of specs 3 months ago and somehow they got a bloody great scratch down the right lens.

Does anyone know if I'll have to pay full price for a replacement pair, or will I still get vouchers?

upamountain Sat 12-Sep-09 21:38:01

Sorry bad news.

Only children get free repairs/replacements due to damage/loss so you won't get another voucher until your next eye test if your prescription has changed.

dizietsma Sat 12-Sep-09 21:40:20

Bugger.

Thanks for the heads up.

mumandlovingit Sat 12-Sep-09 22:10:10

no harm in asking.mine got broken by my child and they replaced them. had to put a form in to get them replaced and becuse i hadnt had a replacement before they did that time for me.was a couple of years ago though and specsavers.its normally the frames that cost alot so might not be too expensive just for the lenses?

pickyvic Sat 12-Sep-09 23:04:34

PCT s will generally only allow a repair voucher for a child under 16. ive never in 10 years had one allowed for an adult unless they have special needs such as epilepsy, and then ive had to beg the pct for it. im an optical assistant.

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Sat 12-Sep-09 23:09:06

What pickyvic said! <<waves>> (How's the PCSO-ing? smile)

I'm afraid that you'll have to shell out for a new lens - they should just be able to replace the one lens though, so it's not like paying out for a whole new pair. Bad luck - I also have a scratch on my lens but I'm waiting to see if my prescription is going to change again before getting it replaced!

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Sat 12-Sep-09 23:10:11

How short sighted are you? Do you know what index your lenses are? Could maybe give you an idea of cost....

pickyvic Sat 12-Sep-09 23:17:11

<<waves back at tafka!>

the specialing is going just fine - am honing my Tea drinking skills quite nicely!

(hoping to make it the day job soon - got assessment centre in 3 weeks! wish me luck!)

oh an dizie tafka is right - youll only have to get the scratched lens done - where do you go for your eyes doing?

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Sat 12-Sep-09 23:22:47

Ooooh good luck pickyvic!

My 1.00ds cyl that randomly developed in my LE (when I was sphere only since forever) when I was pg with dd has still not gone away! Dd is 6 months old now! Wondering whether to try toric contact lenses but am a bit of a wuss.

<<sorry for hijack>>

pickyvic Sat 12-Sep-09 23:43:02

ive got a wappy RX too.

im now a -1.75 + 1.75 in the right and a -2.00 +2.00 in the left! (with an axis of 90 R and L) so i have to have torics. am trialing a new J&J one but its tres expensive and i cant wear lenses for long without wanting to gouge me eyes out...
hey ho. worried about getting my specs knocked off though when specialing. if i wasnt such a wuss and had some cash id consider laser surgery!

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Sun 13-Sep-09 10:37:55

Heh - I'm a -10.25 in my RE and -9.75 in my left! The cyl appeared when I was pg, just a random 1.00ds cyl from nowhere. Was very odd!

I wear the Acuvue Moist but they don't do them in a toric lens AFAIK. Can just about cope with a sphere only CL but can't drive in them! Hey - look on the bright side, at least we don't have prisms!! wink

<<sorry for optical related hijack, OP>> blush

pickyvic Sun 13-Sep-09 12:37:25

wooooo tafka thats a whopper! good job your in optics eh!? id go for the Zeiss lantal in your specs or try a toric lens, J&J have a silicone hydrogel toric out, im trialing it now, its good actually - the only CL ive ever had any success with but i have slightly dry eyes.

(and really sorry OP!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now