Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

My dh has just been diagnosed with Crohns advice needed please

(12 Posts)
blossomhill Sat 12-Sep-09 10:00:28

Hi

My dh was dx with Crohns on Thursday and I a would really appreciate any advice or to listen to other people's experiences of it.

Thanks

ThingOne Sat 12-Sep-09 11:48:10

Sorry to hear that.

Have you found NACC yet? I think that's a good place to start.

blossomhill Sat 12-Sep-09 18:22:54

great thanks will look it up!

8oreighty Sat 12-Sep-09 18:24:05

My friend has it, quite badly...she has gone to a homeopath for years and kept it under control without having to take lots of drugs...Diet is extremely important, but guess you know that already.

LuluMaman Sat 12-Sep-09 18:24:32

a lot depends on the severity of the symptoms and what treatment he needs, as it can vary from none, to surgery..

definietly join the NACC.

there might also be a bowel nurse at the local hospital who can help and advise him

Annie12 Sat 12-Sep-09 23:12:04

Hi

Try googling candida and crohn's and look at
http://www.nutritioninstitute.com/Ulcerative_Colitis.html

I believe it is controllable by diet. I am sure a naturopath/homeopath can help.

backtoworkthistime Sat 12-Sep-09 23:12:14

My dd has it ~ she has regular meds and bloods to check the disease is not flaring up and that the meds are not affecting her in any adverse way.

It is very tiring,and she does get quite down with it sometimes.

All the best

blossomhill Sun 13-Sep-09 20:27:14

thank you am taking all of your advice and will look at your link annie thanks

8oreighty Mon 14-Sep-09 19:50:33

also if you are looking into candida have a look at candidafree.co.uk - very helpful.

Bellared Mon 14-Sep-09 20:15:54

Hi BH,

Both my Dad and DH have it but they are both at the opposite ends of the scale from it. DH has a reverse loop stoma because of complications and it going undiagnosed for over a year and almost dying on me last year after being fobbed off by 3 gp's and the Dr's at one Hospital. Then on the other hand my Dad just has to be careful what he eats and his may have been caused from taking ibruprofen.
Onions, choclate, sweetcorn, pizza base, curry and beans are a definate no-go for DH though and I have to prepare our meals the same just add the onions or whatever afterwards to mine and DS's portions.

Sorry I dont have any advice just experience of it.

Good luck to both of you!

blossomhill Tue 15-Sep-09 14:58:30

Thanks 8oeriety and thank you bellared for sharing your experiences with your dad and husband. I cannot believe what happened to your poor husband, must have been so frightening for you both Well we were fobbed off too even though dh has just been dx with arthritus (sp?) and has mouth ulcers. You would have hoped once he went back to gp with bad stomach problems they would have linked them all?? Dh pratically dx himself. Anyway we have to go for a barium enema and touchwood we will find out more then.

Bellared Tue 15-Sep-09 20:30:18

Good luck with the enema, DH has had lots of those and it wasn't as bad as he thought it would have been! If he has to go for a colonoscopy that has got to be one of the strangest experiences ever (I had one), they pump your back passage full of air and you really need to fart, it was quite funny and when its done you can just let rip. wink

Yep, we pretty much had self diagnosed it too and it wasn't until he ended up on ICU with 7ft of impacted 'matter' in his bowels and that from not being able to go properly for almost a year as the ulcers were that bad the bowel had restricted that much it wasn't letting anything out.

But that was an extreme case and its pretty much under control for now and will have to have a bowel re-section next year as he has to lose some weight first.

Was your GP a locum? That's all we saw at the surgery but we've moved since then. I think some just want you in and out and tell you its IBS and change your diet etc.

Your PCT isnt Wigan is it?

Let us know how you get on?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now