Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can you help me identify my thumb pain please

(12 Posts)
surreylady Fri 11-Sep-09 22:17:20

I have had pin in my right thumb for about 3 weeks now - started when I was on hols but I don't have any recollection of injuring it. Pain is constant at the base of thumb - it hurts to move (although not particularly to bend) and is really sore to the touch - difficult to hold weight or turn lids etc. Very much on the base above the wrist seemed to get slightly better but I am now getting shooting pains also- I don't want to waste medical time and would stuggle to find the time - any ideas what it might be and if I should just ignore it for a few weeks more. Thank You

CybilLiberty Fri 11-Sep-09 22:18:41

Arthritis or tendonitis? I think you should see your doctor, you're not 'wasting medical time' if it's causing you pain

pushmepullyou Fri 11-Sep-09 22:25:17

If you make a fist with your thumb on the inside and hold it out in front of you with the thumb on top and pull your fist/wrist downwards with the other hand does it hurt?

That means something thumb pain-wise, but I can't quite remember what blush. Will go google if it sounds likely!

surreylady Fri 11-Sep-09 22:31:41

Pushme - hope I understood and had a go but no it doesnt cause more pain. It is the painful to touch - like a very bad sore pain that I find confusing.....

pushmepullyou Fri 11-Sep-09 22:39:33

Probably not the thumb tendon then (pretty sure that's what that signifies). I wonder if it could be inflammation of the sheath thingy over the bone? I have probably this further round in my wrist and it is very painful to touch and I also have shooting pains, particularly if I try to pur any weight on the palm of my hand. It does settle down eventually for me, but can take a good couple of months once it flairs up. Probably worth a visit to the GP as steroid injections can help a lot if this is what it is. And physio if it isn't.

alypaly Sat 12-Sep-09 00:26:53

surreylady...have you done anything to damage it...have a look at this...could you have fractured your scaphoid bone somehow,it is quite easy to do
http://www.evans-hand.com/scaphoid.htm

surreylady Sat 12-Sep-09 15:49:59

Thank you Aly - that is exactly where the pain is coming from - I think you have cracked it - or maybe I have.....I can't remember damaging it - we were at DisneyWorld when it happened so it is possible that I damaged it in a ride or water slide.

alypaly Sat 12-Sep-09 23:43:57

glad to be of servicegrin

alypaly Mon 14-Sep-09 09:29:50

have it looked at because an unhealed scaphoid bone can cause awful arthritis rairly quickly,and the sooner you get it looked at the better the prognosis

alypaly Tue 15-Sep-09 01:06:34

did you get it sorted

surreylady Tue 15-Sep-09 21:45:05

went to get it checked out - had it x-rayed - they say not broken - however they could see that it was still swollen and bruised but suggested perhaps a sprain (I suspect in the absence of anything else)

alypaly Wed 16-Sep-09 00:43:26

at least you know now. Hopefully it should get better in a few weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now