Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ok, so I'm finally going to do it. I'm going to give blood today.

(17 Posts)
twirlymum Fri 11-Sep-09 12:45:18

My mum always gave blood. I remember sitting in the church hall while she had her cup of tea afterwards, and it's something I have always meant to do.
My friends mum sadly died last year, but she had a blood transfusion which extended her life for a couple of weeks, which was very precious time for her family.
Until now there has always been a reason to not do it - pregnant, anaemic etc, but today I am going to do it!
I am not squeamish about needles, so that bit doesn't bother me, but I have quite tricky veins.
Will I feel really tired after?

TheBalladofGayTony Fri 11-Sep-09 12:46:58

well done! i don't feel tired afterwards but they make you hang round for a while after incase you keel over.

Macdog Fri 11-Sep-09 12:49:14

Well done you!
I never felt tired after giving blood, but some friends sometimes feel a bit dizzy.

Try to relax and it'll be fine smile

twirlymum Fri 11-Sep-09 12:53:11

Thanks, how long do they make you wait afterwards? Giving blood at 2pm but have to collect dd at 3.15 from school (church hall is about a ten minute car journey from school)

randomtask Fri 11-Sep-09 12:54:30

I didn't feel tired after but make sure you eat whatever they offer you then have more food at home.

When I gave blood it took longer than planned and I ended up rushing off to a meeting and not having dinner after. As a result of that, I got migrainey and fainted the next morning.

I've not been allowed to donate for ages but am finally allowed again as my migraines are less!!

TheBalladofGayTony Fri 11-Sep-09 12:54:31

first time, 30 mins i think. you are cutting it a bit fine, esp as you might not be seen straight away.

twirlymum Fri 11-Sep-09 15:51:20

Just got back, all went ok, I feel good!

pasturesnew Fri 11-Sep-09 15:52:11

Very well done twirlymum!

Rubyrubyruby Fri 11-Sep-09 15:53:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

boredofthehols Fri 11-Sep-09 16:43:01

...but drink plenty of non alcoholic fluids...

twirlymum Fri 11-Sep-09 20:08:17

Still fine and dandy. I'll def do it again.
Do you think I can have some chocolate tonight in leiu of blood? I've been dieting (how much does a pint of blood weigh? wink grin

kreecherlivesupstairs Fri 11-Sep-09 21:55:27

A unit of blood weighs about, and this is very approximate, as much as the unit of chocolate you want. highly unscientific but usually pretty accurate. I am really cross abut blood donation. I've been a regular donor since the age of 18, I even have/had a badge to show 25 units given. When we moved to Oman I gave, when we lived in Thailand I gave when we moved to Switzerland I was refused. I tried (and assumed they didn't want me as I had lived in the HIV swamp that is Bangkok) but no, my problems were closer to home, I'd been in the UK for 4 years between vital BSE dates. Well fuck me dead, our dd is ab- and the only person who I know of that blood group is my mum. So if push comes to shove, my lovely mum will be coming to open up her veins to her youngest grandaughter.
think yourself lucky you can give it.
A sobbing aphoresis. x Something I used to do once a monthwhre the whole blood is taken out, the WBC spun out and the rest returned.

twirlymum Fri 11-Sep-09 22:18:29

kreecher thanks for the choc advice grin

That makes me worry, do they know more about bse than we do?!

I can't remember the blood group I am, but I know it's the one they can give to anyone.

EyeballsintheSky Fri 11-Sep-09 22:35:28

I think that's same as me, AB+. I'm giving blood for the first time next month. Don't think I mind the prospect as such but am a bit concerned about the collapsing veins that plagued me during pg. Do they know what they are doing or am I going to have purply bruised arms again?

twirlymum Fri 11-Sep-09 22:42:50

I don't have a bruise at all.
I can do it again in January.

pasturesnew Sat 12-Sep-09 11:17:56

Actually AB is a really good blood group to have, I am in it too. It means that if necessary we can receive blood from O (I think everyone can), A, B or AB - but we can only give to AB (which is obv. best fit). So I don't think you have to worry too much for your daughter that AB blood stocks are often low.

If you have A blood you can receive O or A, if you have B you can receive O or B and if you have O I think you can only get O. Then the rhesus thing on top obv so if - can only get -.

There is a lot more science to an ideal match, I know, but this is the rough overview.

RubyrubyrubyRevel Sat 12-Sep-09 13:58:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now