Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pre-school boosters .. what injections are they? and should I?

(9 Posts)
Twiglett Fri 03-Jun-05 09:22:31

I have just made an appointment for DS (4.4) to have his pre-school booster (but can't get hold of anyone to find out more information

So.. First Question: Am I right in thinking they get the 5-in-one jab as a booster as well as MMR, or is it just MMR?

For those who don't know I chose sep-vax for the MMR component for DS (due to family history of auto-immune disorder) but he had primaries with thimerosal 'cos I knew nothing about that back then. I am now less sure of my anti-MMR stance specifically when it comes to these boosters

So .... Second Question: is it because there's less risk because they're older or just because all the research I've read focuses on primary jabs?

Aimsmum Fri 03-Jun-05 15:46:54

Message withdrawn

stinky Fri 03-Jun-05 16:22:34

We paid for singe MMR vacs and when it came to pre-school boosters had a blood immunity check done which confirmed immunity so didn't have MMR (would have done singles again though). Cost was about £109 through BUPA. DS did have other pre-school boosters with no ill-effect. HTH

Twiglett Fri 03-Jun-05 16:55:30

that's interesting because Direct Health want a lot more for immunity checks and we have bupa cover ... how did you arrange blood immunity check through bupa? did you just call them up and ask for it or did you have to go through GP ?

mckenzie Fri 03-Jun-05 17:13:53

bump as i'd like to know the answers too Twiglett.

stinky Fri 03-Jun-05 17:36:57

We phoned BUPA direct for appointment and had to get blood test form from GP. BUPA did give us a number of a doctor we could get it from if GP wouldn't do it but I just phoned GP and arranged to collect it next day - no problem.

stinky Fri 03-Jun-05 17:39:33

Forgot to add that results will only be sent to GP - BUPA will advise you by letter when this has been done (and send invoice).

Twiglett Fri 03-Jun-05 17:43:49

Stinky what did you say to Bupa when you asked for the tests though? do you remember? I have phone in hand and PPP number at hand

stinky Fri 03-Jun-05 17:59:57

Just asked for MMR immunity blood test and got put through to nurse who would carry it out, to arrange appointment. Very simple and straight forward. We had to arrive an hour earlier so they could put the numbing gel on his arm (don't know what that is called, sorry).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now