Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

101 questions about ringworm - Your words of wisdom please.

(8 Posts)
WriggleJiggle Fri 11-Sep-09 00:02:09

Well, not quite 101 questions, but a few.

Canestan is the stuff you treat it with, right?
How do you know when it has finished it's ringing / died / vapourised or whatever it is that ringworm does? Or do I continue to treat it until the ring dissapears completely?
How long does it take to go?
Do I need to see a doctor about it or is it one of those sort it out yourself things?
How contagious is it, will the rest of the family get it?
Thankyou grin

kreecherlivesupstairs Fri 11-Sep-09 08:30:21

I got it from the kittens we had while I was pregnant. Not being able to speak Arabic I went to the body shop and used tea tree oil on it.
I understand it is very contagious, you could always yahoogle it and find out.

Seona1973 Fri 11-Sep-09 08:32:57

I was prescribed lamisil AF gel for mine as canesten wasnt working. It took several weeks for it to go away completely. The gel itself said to use it for a week but the gp said to just keep using it until the ringworm went away.

Seona1973 Fri 11-Sep-09 08:33:41

p.s. no one else in the family caught it from me

Seona1973 Fri 11-Sep-09 08:33:42

p.s. no one else in the family caught it from me

PixieOnaLeaf Fri 11-Sep-09 16:10:17

Message withdrawn

mathanxiety Fri 11-Sep-09 20:15:47

Anti fungal cream or spray that you use for athletes foot will work for ringworm. DS went through almost a whole tube of cream before I let him stop just to be sure it was gone. It took him 4 weeks at least.

WriggleJiggle Sat 12-Sep-09 06:49:16

4 weeks shock.
I'll keep going a bit longer then. And the ring / redness completely vanishes when all is done?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now