Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any HCPs around for advice,please?

(7 Posts)
namechangerforthispost Wed 09-Sep-09 14:59:08

My mum is due to have a hip replacement soon.She is 60.

She has been offered a date and told it will be done in a private hospital,on the NHS as part of them meeting their waiting list targets.

Which all sounds fabulous

BUT.

My mum has Myasthenis Gravis.It is fairly well controlled on steroids,pyrostigmine and iso on.She has had a thymectomy in the past also.

My main concern is that I feel she would be more of a anaesthetic risk than a "normal" patient given her PMH,and the possible respiratory elements of her MG.

She asked me what I thought in passing so I said all well and good if her neurological consultant thought it was OK.Apparently the orthopod suggested she asked the neuro guy so when she had her last appt she did but she did not see her usual consultant,but a reg.Now I am not debating the knowledge of the reg am sure they know their job but I am a bit hmm about the orthopod asking her to ask the neuro,surely he could do this.

If I am honest I would be happier for her to have the op at the NHS hospital where they have ICU or whatever back-up on site.

Am I being silly and neurotic (Am a HCP myself,lol!)

stanausauruswrecks Wed 09-Sep-09 17:45:37

No, I don't think you are. Why not ring the Neurologist's secretary and see if she can arrange a phone consult on this?
If I remember correctly MG patients can take a lot longer to come round after anaesthesia, so she may require ICU afterwards which very few private hospitals have.

blowninonabreeze Wed 09-Sep-09 17:50:40

I wouldn't be overly relaxed either - however instead of persuing neuro, I'd approach the anaestetist who can then liase with neurology if required. I'd be surprised if they'll consent to doing it in the private sector TBH.

(I also wouldn't be too surprised if the orthopod only had a very hazy idea of what MG is grin)

stanausauruswrecks Wed 09-Sep-09 18:01:38

Sorry, meant to add, she'd also be more likely to be seen by the orthopod physio in view of her muscular problems.

Namechangerforthispost Wed 09-Sep-09 20:54:41

Thanks for replies.Bumping for later crowd.

Namechangerforthispost Wed 09-Sep-09 20:55:48

just realised typo-it is Myasthenia Gravis.Sorry!

kreecherlivesupstairs Thu 10-Sep-09 09:29:47

Would it be possible to have it done with a local aneasthetic, not lidocaine but epidural. My MIL had hers done this way due to frailty. The only downside would be the noise and pulling about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now