Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

sicky baby... what to do?

(15 Posts)
starlover Thu 02-Jun-05 17:40:36

DS is now completely on formula apart from one bottle of EBM a day (my expressing is a whole nother thread!)

I took him off SMA because when he started having more of it he got really constipated.
Moved to Aptamil which has been better, his poo has been much softer... but he is sick ALL the time. He will be sick immediately after a feed... and then on and off for a while... even if he is sat up.

I don't really want to go back to SMA and have him in pain from constipation... but being sick all the time can't be good for him either (and means my washing pile is getting massive!)

what do i do???????

starlover Thu 02-Jun-05 17:46:29

anyone?

Loobie Thu 02-Jun-05 18:03:48

there is a milk called omnio comfort which is heavier than normal milk to help it stay down iykwim could be worth a try.

fruitful Thu 02-Jun-05 18:09:38

Anything which solves the sicky problem will probably increase the constipation problem.

Ds is on SMA staydown with one bottle of Aptamil a day, which sorts out the constipation for him.

We looked at Omneo comfort - didn't try it cos you have to make it with hot water and that's too much hassle when you're out!

Lots of sympathy over your washing pile.

starlover Thu 02-Jun-05 18:10:42

it's odd, because when i was b/f he wasn't sicky at all!

donnie Thu 02-Jun-05 18:28:02

do you mean just a bit of sick each time ? becuase this is quite common. You could try feeding him the bottles a bit more slowly with breaks for winding etc, or else maybe smaller quantities?

starlover Thu 02-Jun-05 18:29:59

no... it's quite a lot. maybe a quarter to a third of a feed each time...

he is 4 months old, and is only on 150ml anyway... do you think it's worth giving him less but feeding more often?

starlover Thu 02-Jun-05 18:30:20

having said that... sometimes he isn't sick at all, but those occasions are rare!

donnie Thu 02-Jun-05 18:46:42

not sure what to suggest - maybe a differnt formula ? farleys and cow/gate are meant to be good. What does the health visotir say? sorry I can't be more help!

starlover Thu 02-Jun-05 18:52:39

haven't asked HV yet... thought i'd call on the wisdom of Mumsnet first LOL

chicagomum Thu 02-Jun-05 19:01:49

Can you get enfamil in uk (i think you can on prescription) it is what my paediatrician swapped my ds onto when we moved here as he had a serious reflux problem he no is only a little bit sick each time and is a lot more comfortable and no constipation probs

chicagomum Thu 02-Jun-05 19:45:41

That should read Enfamil AR by the way (there are several different types of enfamil, but this is the one that "might" help)

fatmomma Thu 02-Jun-05 19:53:43

If he has relux you may find it's a problem until he gets on to solids. My ds had reflux and was constantly sick as you describe. I'm afraid I don't have any tips as we never found a solution. I do have a tip for constipation though - add a little pure orange juice to the occasional feed as the citric acid acts as a mild laxative. This might help enough for you to put him back onto SMA. HTH

starlover Thu 02-Jun-05 20:14:53

i don't think it's reflux as he never did it when i was breastfeeding him....

argh

bigdonna Thu 02-Jun-05 21:11:31

have you tried soya milk,my friends little girl was allergic to cows milk formula she also went onto goats milk.She did grow out of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now