Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I think I may be suffering very bad PMT - can anything help?

(7 Posts)
IrishDraught Mon 07-Sep-09 23:19:50

I have never had it before but after DS2 I had my first period about 6 weeks ago after nearly a year and a few days before I was a monster and I just couldn't help it. The past few days I have been teary, very stressed, irrational and hey presto - period has just started. I have never had anything like this before, can anything help calm it? I actually swiped a surface of paperwork earlier blush and I have never done anything like that in my life. Thankyou

ThingumyandBob Mon 07-Sep-09 23:29:03

Bit of a long shot and I’m not a doctor obviously, but I went to my doctor with a similar problem, anyway she prescribed vitamin B6 (lots of 100mg per day, more than you can buy in a supplement) apparently women with PMT can be low in vitamin B.

It works for me, plus it natural so I don’t mind taking it, I can’t go on the pill, but apparently that can help some women too…I’d make an appointment with a lady doctor, they all seem to be a bit more sympathetic about it nowadays, plus it can be a bit of a shocker if you suddenly find yourself with PMT when you’ve never had it before.

BedofRosesItAintII Mon 07-Sep-09 23:33:16

Hi IrishDraught,

I will list the things I have tried:

*Evening Primrose Oil*, you will need to take it every day not just around the time of your period. I take the Boots super strength 1050mg;
Agnus Catus, found this was quite good/effective;
Exercise (cardio and/or weight bearing), this really works, but yet again have to do pretty much daily and make it a long term commitment;
St John's Wort, yet another that require a long term approach ;
Vitamin B Complex, didn't really notice a difference with this;
5HTP, helps with sleep problems, but I found it increased my appetite the next day.

It may take a few months (3 months) before you see an improvement in your symptons.

I highlighted the 2 options that I personally recommend.

Best wishes,

Roses x

IrishDraught Mon 07-Sep-09 23:40:13

What is 5HTP? Thankyou for the suggestions, pill isn't really an option but the rest sound very doable. I will try and make an appointment tomnorrow, it's abit embarrassing blush but it's pretty scary feeling this way!

skybright Mon 07-Sep-09 23:46:54

I have found the more children i have the worse my PMT has become..i have tried the evening primrose a few years ago and i think it worked a bit..must go and buy some.

AnAuntieNotAMum Mon 07-Sep-09 23:52:05

I found the multivit called "magnesium OK" very helpful (has b vits in it too)

BedofRosesItAintII Tue 08-Sep-09 23:22:32

5HTP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now