Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

IBS advice plz

(8 Posts)
NannyBeth Mon 07-Sep-09 22:14:12

Hi all

Don't post on here very often, so please be kind

I have IBS, was diagnosed early 2007 and have been taking herbal remedies for it since about mid 2007 (slippery elm, magnesium, multi v) plus trying to have at least one probiotic yoghurt/drink every day - having activia atm and seems to be working wonders!

Now, to the advice. How many of you avoid carbs and to what extent? And which do you think are the worst for you? I have been told that wheat is the worst, does anyone find this to be true?

Also,if you are avoiding carbs, what do you eat for breakfast?? I have tried having yoghurt and fruit, but I just end up starving by mid-morning (and inevitably turning to toast/cake/biscuits, which defeats the purpose!).

Thanks in advance!!!

Beth

nannymcphee Tue 08-Sep-09 20:08:04

I normally have porrige with banana mashed into it for breakfast - keeps me going for hours and is kind on the tummy! Interested to read that the activia yoghurt/drink is working. I was always under the impression that they were full of sugar and any goodness they may have is killed in your body before it helps with digestion.

I shall try some - thanks! (I try and stir clear from pasta most of the time too)

Linz101 Tue 08-Sep-09 21:18:17

Hi

Just wanted to add I cut out wheat completely for a while and the difference was huge. No more tummy pains, diarroheoa etc. I've since worked out that I can have a small amount of wheat i.e. 2 slices of bread a day without any adverse effects although of course everyone is different.

You could try some of the gluten free cereals available too and things like Rice Krispies etc are ok if it's wheat and not gluten you are avoiding. A lot of the gluten free pastas are good too.

If you decide to go the whole hog and cut out wheat products, the Dietary Special brand make the best GF bread. I would avoid the supermarket own brands as they tend to be really dry.

Good luck and hope this helps

Hormonesnomore Tue 08-Sep-09 21:20:33

I find that dry cereals (even when eaten with milk) are very bad for my IBS. I eat a little probiotic yogurt for breakfast - if you don't want one

with too much sugar, Yeo Valley natural is good. I usually have a banana or cereal bar at about 10.30 and a sandwich for lunch. Linseeds are

great for me but not a lot, so soya & linseed bread (Burgen) is ideal. I always have brown rice & wholewheat pasta too and my IBS is well

under control, as long as I don't eat too much chocolate. Small portions work well too. I've also found that this diet keeps me regular as I

used to suffer from constipation & trapped wind which made the pain much worse.

NannyBeth Tue 08-Sep-09 23:26:19

Thanks for the advice. I know it's such an individual thing, its really irritating! Can't wait til someone works out exactly what causes IBS and how to fix it!!!

ReddyMealsAreNotWorthIt Tue 08-Sep-09 23:28:23

Protein is very filling/satiating. So try eggs for breakfast. I have a 'routine' that switches from poached to boiled to scrambled eggs, omelettes and, very occasionally, bacon and eggs.

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Tue 08-Sep-09 23:36:20

Some of the wheat free breads are palateable, especially if you toast them.
I'd second the protein content - make sure you include it at each meal.
I found (advised by a nutritionist) that not drinking with meals made a difference. Half an hour before and an hour after worked for me, but you can have a glass of water to sip while you eat.
Muesli is good, as long as you check it's wheat free.
I used to make up my own and add loads of nuts to fill up.

alypaly Wed 09-Sep-09 19:30:24

Avoid too much stress as this is a big trigger.
Some people get constipation ,some get the opposite. Domperidone tablets are good for this as they help the bowel spasms

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now