Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

what is this growing and spreading under our skin?

(15 Posts)
vannah Mon 07-Sep-09 21:37:42

If anyone has anyone experience of this Id be so grateful, both GPs have told me absolutely nothing.

A couple of yrs ago I noticed a small circle of dots/raised tiny spots but under the skin on the palm of my hand. It soon became madly itchy, hydrocortosone wasnt working and I went to see my gp, she said she had no idea, but it didnt look like ringworm. She said to apply canesten in case it was a parasite but it didnt respond to it and eventually went away.

2 yrs later its back. Same palm, first the circle of spots under skin, followed by mad intense itch which is uncontrollable at night. Circle is the size of 50p coin and not totally round.

Noticed DD had a similar circle on her forehead which was also itchy, took her to GP last week, he didnt know. Said its most probably bacterial, prescribed Fucidin anti bac cream, no effect. Today I noticed it has spread to her temple, but there its in a straight line - about 1cm long.
And now, Ive just seen some tiny spots appearing on my left hand and the same horrible itch.

Arrgh. Any ideas? Going back to GP when I can get an appt at this very awkward surgery, but meanwhile worried.

thankyou

cass66 Mon 07-Sep-09 22:13:31

not many rashes affect the palm. Eczema, psoriasis and scabies are the main ones, also hand foot and mouth disease. the first 3 are itchy. Your rash sounds more like eczema/dermatitis, which should respond to a steroid, but a stronger one than hydrocortisone. something like elocon or eumovate (prescription only in UK).

Ask your GP if it could be a form of eczema. HTH, Cass.

weegiemum Mon 07-Sep-09 22:15:28

On your hand it sounds like scabies (I caught it as a teaching student - itch central!!!). Not sure thoughif it is on your daughters head?

pofacedandproud Mon 07-Sep-09 22:18:55

could be scabies, but odd to get it twice.

colditz Mon 07-Sep-09 22:21:32

Insecticidal nit lotion will treat scabies. not canestan (what WAS the doc thinking?)

QueenOfFuckingEverything Mon 07-Sep-09 22:22:48

You can get scabies twice [bitter]

Sounds like ringworm to me though. Why did GP say it didn't look like it?

QueenOfFuckingEverything Mon 07-Sep-09 22:24:22

Oh and scabies will never disappear without treatment - it just spreads and gets worse to the point where people used to kill themselves rather than carry on itching. so if it went away on its own, its not scabies.

weegiemum Mon 07-Sep-09 22:25:00

Scabies are like headlice in your skin.

You can be regularly reinfected!!!

QueenOfFuckingEverything Mon 07-Sep-09 22:25:59

I had ringworm in my armpit (lovely...) a while ago and it took 8 weeks to respond to antifungal cream btw.

vannah Mon 07-Sep-09 22:34:14

right, thanks very much for that everyone. Going to camp at GP tomorrow and demand to be seen

alypaly Mon 07-Sep-09 23:17:21

sounds like discoid eczema

hennipenni Tue 08-Sep-09 09:52:19

agree with alypaly

vannah Tue 08-Sep-09 21:58:11

going to google discoid eczema - thanks
went to see a 'good' doctor today, recommended by a neighbour. Doc said that it looked like something fungal a bit like ringworm, so gave daktakort for me and and little one...

she didnt seem certain about it though. Asked if it might be scabies - said no.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies

ABetaDad Tue 08-Sep-09 22:24:28

It sounds like it might be ringworm (but not discounting others' suggestions either). The size of the lesion is about right. Can be caught by touchng animals that have it or another human or even surfaces that animals have rubbed against like fence posts.

Easily treatable though.

alypaly Wed 09-Sep-09 19:15:16

forehead is an unusual place to get ringworm but if it is ,daktacort should work. Miconazole is antifungal and the hydrocortisone will get rid of the itch

fingers crossed smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now