Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Guttate psoriasis - Anyone had it?

(8 Posts)
mum2RandR Mon 07-Sep-09 18:06:27

I went to the doctor a few weeks ago because I had red dry patches on my stomach. They told me it was a fungal infection and gave me cream,(which didnt help) and I went back today because it has got worse.
They told me it was guttate psoriasis and I probably had it because I had a tonsilitis and abscess in my throat a few months ago.
The Doctor told me it should go away soon and to use diprobase, but Im a bit worried its going to get worse.
Does anyone have any experience of this condition?

GreatGooglyMoogly Mon 07-Sep-09 18:16:27

DH has had this since April when he had a strep throat infection. It slowly spread over all of his body except his head. The doctor gave him some steroid cream which lessens it for a while but when he stops putting it on it just comes back . Once the cream runs out he has some moisturiser he was given to use as they don't want him to use steroid cream for too long. Basically I think he is stuck with it. He got a suntan this Summer and it cleared up on the tanned parts of his body, though. HTH.

Alittlebitrestless Tue 08-Sep-09 05:27:40

Hi, I have had this since I was a child and have had several "outbreaks" following throat infections. When I was younger the policy seemed to be to full on treatment (out patients,creams, ultra- violet light etc) but the last time the doctor told me it was self limiting and to just moisturise so I was comfortable and wait for it to clear. In my experience it does clear eventually. I always have some patches on my elbows and knees but the rest of my body is fine(and I promise you in the past I have been absolutely covered in spots) I know how horrible it can make you feel at time so you have my sympathy.If there is anything you want to ask, will try and help.

mum2RandR Wed 09-Sep-09 20:51:21

Thanks for both of your replys. Have got a lot of spots at the moment but only on my stomach and a few on my thigh, Im a bit worried it will spread to my face where I obviously wont be able to hide it.
I have to go back in a few weeks and if its still there my gp will refer me to a dermatologist.
Thanks again for your advice x

runnervt Wed 09-Sep-09 21:39:44

I had it a couple of years ago. I had wee patches all over but not on my face. I had some tar cream stuff I think and dirpobase. I didn't think the creams did anything and it seemed to clear up itself over a couple of months. Haven't had it since and I don't know why I got it then.

Alittlebitrestless Thu 10-Sep-09 09:19:47

In my experience sunshine is good for psoriasis. Hope you have a bit of time to make the most of this warm spell. (hope it is warm where you are, mum2RandR!). I think that an outbreak of guttate psoriasis will often reach a peak, stay the same for a while and then gradually clear. Hopefully you have already reached that peak. If you look at the patches, you will start to see new clear skin in the middle of each patch when it is getting better.

mum2RandR Thu 10-Sep-09 18:20:23

The biggest patch I have which was also the first to appear does actually have a little circle of normal skin in the centre of it, so hopefully it is clearing. Hooray!

Weather not too bad here Alittlebitrestless but would have to wear a bikini to get sunshine on the psoriases and look bad enough in one normally, without being covered in a rash! Thanks again for all your advice x

2fedup Thu 10-Sep-09 18:27:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now