Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any opticians out there?

(3 Posts)
MissM Mon 07-Sep-09 11:46:55

I've never worn glasses, always had very good eyesight. Had an eye test a few weeks ago and they told me that I had an 'intermediate' prescription in each eye and would need glasses for computer-based work. When I asked why this had happened they put it down to age (I'm almost 40).

So I'm wearing my new glasses as I type and to be honest I can't see much difference at all and am wondering if I should bother. Things are slightly magnified but I also feel a bit sick and strange. Should I carry on bothering if having no glasses isn't bothering me? Am I going to 'educate' my eyes to need glasses if I carry on wearing them?

AMumInScotland Mon 07-Sep-09 12:03:21

I'd say if you aren't having any problem with your eyes, or headaches, then you'd be better off not bothering with the glasses.

I didn't wear glasses till this year (I'm 42 now) but found I was getting headaches at the end of the working day, and finding it harder to read roadsigns. Now that I have glasses, my eyes have got used to them and I find that my eyesight without them is nowhere near as good as it had been before I got them - my eyes had been compensating very well, but the effort in the muscles to do that is why I was getting headaches.

So, personally, I'd say do without them as long as you can, if you're not feeling you need them.

MissM Mon 07-Sep-09 12:57:27

Good advice, thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now