Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

has anyone had a thyroid nodule?

(16 Posts)
manitz Mon 07-Sep-09 11:31:46

I have one and need a bit of reassurance. i found it last march and it has taken this long for me to have some resolution. I have appt on 22 sept with surgeo. had a scan and they said no indication of cancer but then the consultant said didn't want biopsy as was so large it might be pointless and they might miss stuff so has advised i have it taken off.

obviously then i googled it, have been having panic attacks but got them under control but looked again last night and threw me again. i have a single nodule and no sign of problems with the thyroid. last night read that single nodules more likely to have cancer also in functioning thyroid. how am i supposed to get through next two weeks. trying to ignore it but its really hard.

frankie3 Mon 07-Sep-09 16:27:15

I have nodules on my Thyroid, and had a CT scan which showed that they were not cancerous. My doctor said that no biopsy was needed as if the scan is clear then everything is OK.

He had no idea why I have these nodules, and so I had a blood test that showed that I have had glandular fever in the past which can cause nodules.

I know its hard, but try not to worry, there can be all sorts of other reasons for the nodule.

manitz Mon 07-Sep-09 18:30:21

thank you for your post. i think i'm just scared because the single nodule is more prone to cancer. all bloods are clear i believe but dont know if they tested for viruses. however now i either have a stomping head cold or sf so am managing to distract myself with attempting to breathe. - through my nose, i dont have chest issues. i am annoyed because this nodule thing has been like a black cloud over the last 6 months of maternity leave during which i have been quite emotional and panicky anyway, excitingly also have small prolapse so have been a bit downa nd could do without waiting for surgery as well.

loopylou6 Tue 08-Sep-09 08:35:11

hi manitz, just been through something si ilar with my dad, (if you do a search on here u will ind all my postings on it) my dads nodule was singular and his thyroid function was normal as where his bloods, the consultant said its a good sign that there where noother nodules, and his scan also showed no signs of cancer. after a biopsy, his turned out to be a cyst. HTH.

loopylou6 Tue 08-Sep-09 08:36:00

hi manitz, just been through something si ilar with my dad, (if you do a search on here u will ind all my postings on it) my dads nodule was singular and his thyroid function was normal as where his bloods, the consultant said its a good sign that there where noother nodules, and his scan also showed no signs of cancer. after a biopsy, his turned out to be a cyst. HTH.

fizzyanddizzy Tue 08-Sep-09 09:10:10

Hi Manitz
I honestly think that if they were really worried about it they would have done more tests and more quickly.

Googling is v bad and you must stop immediately!!!!!
I had what they termed as a pre-malignant tumour on my thyroid over 10 years ago which they removed - along with most of the thyroid - just means I have to taky thyroxine every day - annoying but not earth shattering.

So 1) really chances are it is ajust a nodule and thats that 2) even if by some rare chance it is something naughtier - it is a good one to have as it rarely spreads so once it is out, its done and dusted!

Easier said than done I know but please try not to worry because I bet you there is no need to! smile

manitz Tue 08-Sep-09 10:14:31

thanks again for replies. that all makes me feel better. i have been googling a lot over the last 6 months and f and d i know its a good one to have but ther is one type that has a 2% survival rate after 5 years. thing is i had a baby 2years ago with a heart prob diag at anomoly scan. convinced myself it was unlikly to be worst case scenario but at cardiac scan it was the worst case. a 1 in 5000 chance. am reluctant to relax this time as it was such a kick in the ribs so sort of want to face death and then be relieved rather than relax too much.

loopy did they not realise itwas a cyst at the scan? they are only going to remove one lobe of my thyroid so i shouldnt have to take thyroxine. my dad is on it and my bro is diabetic and i have an autoimmune thing so we are gen prone to autoimmune diseases so i cant believe my thyroid is functioning fully expected it not to be.

loopylou6 Tue 08-Sep-09 16:44:41

The sonographer did say she didnt think it was anything nasty, but it is routine to have a FNA before they give any official diagonsis

fizzyanddizzy Tue 08-Sep-09 20:44:57

Manitz - am really sorry for what you have been through. Do understand to a degree - my oldest was diagnosed with a v rare heart condition at 9 weeks and that has forever altered my outlook (which wasn't a positive one to begin with!)

I can't believe they are that worried though if they are only going to take one lobe out -but completely understand the expect the worst approach.

manitz Wed 09-Sep-09 10:12:05

what is an fna?

fizzy i'm so sorry to hear that. my girl had hypoplastic right heart, i'm afraid we went for termination as we couldn't cope with the outlook (i hope that doesn't offend you). i hope your oldest has something more bearable.

thank you for your reassuring words.

fizzy how was the op? i am being told overnight in hospital, just wondering how long to take off work - do say a very long time please! though will i be able to pick up the baby and carry on as normal etc?

fizzyanddizzy Thu 10-Sep-09 09:59:36

Hi Manitz

I am very sorry about to hear about your little girl and of course you haven't offended me.

We are in a different position. My Ds's heart condition is serious but stable at the moment - puberty will probably be the most dangerous time and as he is 6 now I just choose not to think about it!

My op was sometime ago now -but from memory it was actually fine and didn't feel nearly bad enough for the sympathy and time off work I got grin.

I think I stayed in about 3 days (the did a near total thyroidectomy so had a drain in for a day or so. And was off work for 2-3 weeks!!!!!

Didn't hurt - bit scratchy when the scar started to heal but all fine honest!

LeonieSoSleepy Thu 10-Sep-09 10:02:55

Message withdrawn

fizzyanddizzy Thu 10-Sep-09 10:21:18

Hi Leonie
I had hurthle cells too which is why I had the thyroid out - prob best for your mum to do the same.

LeonieSoSleepy Thu 10-Sep-09 11:05:12

Message withdrawn

manitz Wed 16-Sep-09 10:30:09

hi, thanks, thought ther had been no more posts didn't mean to be rude. now just refound this thread. lss, if i were your mum i would have it all out. I'll let you know what they say on 22 sept.

FandD thanks. what is the fna? id on't think i have had one or not heard of it. only one week left till first appt with surgeon hurrah. can't wait for this all to be moving on as am bit stifled by it.

was thinking might hurt to shout at the kids talk

manitz Wed 30-Sep-09 21:20:12

hi, they did fine needle aspiration and getting results on 6 oct. will know more then. have referred me to diff hosp for this and they disagreed wth advice to have surgery so up the air again...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now