Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Has anyone had a perforated eardrum? When did your hearing return to normal?

(7 Posts)
iwouldgoouttonight Mon 07-Sep-09 09:56:07

I had a bad cold last week and on wednesday night it seemed to move to my ear and my ear ache was absolute agony and I was up all night with the pain. The next morning the pain wasn't as bad but gunky stuff was coming out of my ear (nice!).

The doctor said its a perforated eardrum and has given me antibiotics to clear up any infection and said the perforation should close itself. But since then I've had a ringing noise in that ear and can't hear very well at all out of it. I'd hoped it would gradually improve but its still ringing as much as before. Its really disorientating, feels as though I'm underwater and I keep feeling slightly nauseous and dizzy.

Got to go back to work tomorrow because apart from that I feel ok, cold has gone. But I'm dreading having to talk to people because I can't hear them, can't work out how loudly I'm speaking and keep feeling confused!

HelenaBonhamCarter Mon 07-Sep-09 09:58:20

Take a notebook and pen!! Yes, I ahd this at Christmas after flu.

It took a few days maybe a couple of weeks for it to be back to completely normal.

The stuff drained for a few days/nights, I didn't take antibiotics and it was Ok.

Hearing slightly muffled for that time, but not noticeably poor. Perhaps yours was worse than mine.

Sympathy.

HelenaBonhamCarter Mon 07-Sep-09 09:58:48

Oh and important not to get any water in it so watch out when you wash your hair! No swimming either or submerging in bath.

HelenaBonhamCarter Mon 07-Sep-09 09:59:11

<did you hear that or shall I shout, dear?> grin

iwouldgoouttonight Mon 07-Sep-09 10:33:59

Ha ha! I feel like my grandmother with my new favourite phrase: 'what's that dear, you'll have to speak up'!

How did you stop water going into it in the shower? Its fine when I don't wash my hair, but when I wash it I've been putting cotton wool in but it still seems to get a bit wet. What will happen if water has got in (I'm imagining having to purchase ear trumpet)?

HelenaBonhamCarter Tue 08-Sep-09 19:36:51

Sorry sorry sorry I missed this on my thread list blush

I was advised to put some vaseline on the cotton wool before putting it in my ear. It seemed to work ok.
Don't worry if you get a little tiny bit in, I don't think it matters much - just risk of infection really, like having a bath once you lose your plug or similar!

Hope it's feeling better today x

TwentiethCenturyHeffa Tue 08-Sep-09 19:59:21

I had one over the winter and it took about 12 days to clear up When I was younger I had one that didn't heal and I needed an operation to fix it so if it doesn't get any better go back to your doctor.

Poor you though, it's a horrible feeling. It made me really miserable. Hope you feel better soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now