Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Two words that bring dread into any woman. Pelvic floor. How do you excercise this?

(8 Posts)
FluffySaysTheDailyMailsShite Mon 07-Sep-09 01:44:45

I seem to be doing it wrong.

mathanxiety Mon 07-Sep-09 02:43:32

Tighten up as many muscles as you can possibly locate all the way from back to front, then hold them all tightly, then release slowly. Google 'kegel exercise'. Then repeat a few times. This can be done sitting, lying or standing, anywhere and everywhere.

mathanxiety Mon 07-Sep-09 02:44:19

grin No, the googling isn't part of the exercise, LOL. Meant to put that at the end of the post...

FluffySaysTheDailyMailsShite Mon 07-Sep-09 11:15:27

grin Thanks.

izzybiz Mon 07-Sep-09 11:18:37

I think the easiest way to find this muscle is to stop mid pee.

That is basicly the exercise!

ThingumyandBob Mon 07-Sep-09 11:36:31

Your pelvic floor muscles are the same shape as a figure 8 running round your two, er, important ‘passages’ (your anus and your vagina, bit graphic, sorry)

To exercise you need to tighten these muscles, imagine you are stopping a fart and stopping a wee all at once (again, graphic, sorry, but post baby, who cares).

You can work the muscle holding it for 2 or 4 counts. Repeat. You can also tighten and keep tightening in stages (midwife told me to imagine ‘going up floors in a lift’ keep tightening until to the top floor, then ‘un tighten’ in stages down the lift). Hope that makes sense.

You can stop mid pee flow to see what the feeling is like but if you do it too often you can get a kidney infection.

Post baby Pilates is good for your pelvic floor…I found when I stopped doing it I would end up having em..a…’lady moment’ when I sneezed to hard so I reckoned it was doing something!

FluffySaysTheDailyMailsShite Mon 07-Sep-09 17:10:53

ds is 10, it's not as bad as when I first had him, a sneeze was enough but it's still not right. I've been to see a gynae who referred me to a continence nurse, I should do exercises first though. smile

norksinmywaistband Mon 07-Sep-09 17:15:15

I agree that starting exercises first is a good idea, the continence nurse should check you are doing them correctly as should have biofeedback.

Make sure you are doing fast and slow contractions though as it the fast contractions that are needed for sneezing coughing etc. We have 2 different types of muscle fibre that both need to be strong for full continence

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now