Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

help please, migraine what to do

(11 Posts)
moocowme Sun 06-Sep-09 15:21:01

i am at home alone with a quite disabling migraine, i have no migraine medication being very recently diagnosed.

i need some stratergies to cope, i cannot take NSAID as will have severe vomiting. i have taken a high dose of codeine but its not touching the pain. looking on the internet for what to do on a sunday afternoon.

barbiebigpants Sun 06-Sep-09 15:22:34

i suffer too, the best thing to do is get off the internet and lie down somewhere without much light as light seems to make it worse. Made sure you drink fluids and hopefully it will pass

3littlefrogs Sun 06-Sep-09 15:24:53

Go and lie down in a dark room with an ice pack or cold wet cloth over your head and face.

Looking on the internet or any kind of visual stimulation is the worst thing you can do.

It used to take 24 hours of this treatment for mine to abate, before decent meds were available.

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 06-Sep-09 15:25:21

Next time it happens, you must take whatever medication you have immediately. Your system shuts down, which is probably why the codeine isn't helping you.

Get off the computer. It won't help. Go and lie down in the dark, as bbp says.

Sorry you're suffering - I wouldn't wish migraines on my worst enemy. Hope you're better soon.

diedandgonetodevon Sun 06-Sep-09 15:26:53

Get of MN for a start! The flashing screen will make it worse.

Go and lie down and try and find something cool to put on your forehead/back of your neck.

I always find sleep helps almost as much as pain killers.

Is there anyone you can call and ask them to get some different painkilers for you? (just don't take them until the codeine has worn off)

moocowme Sun 06-Sep-09 15:27:27

i have only tuned it on for a few mins to try and find out what to do.

the room is dark and i am lying down but i have to look after my2yo old son.

might try an icepack next.

moocowme Sun 06-Sep-09 15:43:35

Sumatriptan is available OTC. just need to find someone to go and get some fo me. i foun a pharmacy that is open.

pucca Sun 06-Sep-09 15:45:44

Cool flannel over eyes, dark, cool room. If you are getting migraine quite often maybe try betablockers to prevent them. I am on propananol and they do work....hope you feel better soon.

moocowme Sun 06-Sep-09 18:26:30

i got some sumatriptan about an hour ago. i feel soooo much better now. almost normal.

TheDMshouldbeRivened Sun 06-Sep-09 18:35:09

syndol. It relaxes the neck muscles and can stop a migraine.
Glad you are better. I get terrible migraines but cant take sumatriptan cos I have an extra heart beat. Usually take ergotamine but it leaves you feeling like you've been beaten up.

KnickersandVests Sun 06-Sep-09 18:43:37

I have suffered with very debilitating migraines for years now and take a twice daily preventative now and sumatriptan when an attack does come along.

I think I may have identified what triggers them for me which is going to almost revolutionise life!

I think it's cheese. Just got back from hols to south of France and, obviously, ate lots of cheese whilst there and had quite a few headaches. Got home, went to the market and bought two huge, and delicious, chunks of feta, ate most of one of themblush and the next day had a headache.

I also get a headache at the start of my period and sometimes when I ovulate so they are triggered by hormones too.

Finding out what your triggers are is key to managing your condition. It's taken me years. I hope you can find out what yours are quicker than me. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now