Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

why I am terribly allergic to me brand new IKEA rug?

(10 Posts)
pofacedandproud Sun 06-Sep-09 10:43:25

I do have allergies but this is ridiculous. I cannot actually be in the same room as our lovely new rug. It is polypropolene and latex backed. I don't think I have a latex allergy. The children love the rug and roll all over it no problems. My husband who is very non allergic has had watery eyes and sneezed a bit. i am a snivelling, red-eyed wreck around it. It is not hanging over the garden shed. What is going on? Anyone else had this?

pofacedandproud Sun 06-Sep-09 10:43:56

It is now hanging over the garden shed.

pofacedandproud Sun 06-Sep-09 11:04:10

bump

kittycatty Sun 06-Sep-09 11:18:40

I had this when i got my new carpet but when i told someone about it they said it was something to do with the wool in it hmm. Could it be something they put on after its been made a spray or something? Hanging it out on washing line might help.

pofacedandproud Sun 06-Sep-09 11:19:42

yes i wondered but it is not wool. Odd.

magso Sun 06-Sep-09 14:13:30

Yes it might be some protective coating or insect protection for shipping. It may also have been shipped or stored with new wool rugs. I have awful trouble with some new items too particulary glue and moth repellents.
I can only suggest a good vacuum and airing it- and taking it back if the problem doesnt resolve.

pofacedandproud Sun 06-Sep-09 20:15:30

yuck! Thanks. Has been airing over the shed all day. I was hoping IKEA were careful about chemicals but who knows.

thirtypence Sun 06-Sep-09 20:26:38

I was hoping IKEA were careful about chemicals

Yeah right - being careful about manufacturing methods and selling stuff so cheap are mutually exclusive.

It's only the brochure that makes it look clean and green.

pofacedandproud Sun 06-Sep-09 20:28:07

oh dear. 'spose you're right.

pofacedandproud Sun 06-Sep-09 20:29:03

when i was researching mattresses they seemed to have fewer chemical fire retardants in the IKea mattresses, I think, but who knows.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now