Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ovarian Cyst Anyone?

(15 Posts)
Kally Sun 06-Sep-09 09:43:47

I suppose I am pre-menopausal. I decided to go to the Dr's for a check up as I tend to neglect myself. Had a PAP done - everything ok. Then Dr sent me for ultrasound just to make sure all ok down there as I had had a bit of bleeding after sex.
Turns out I have a cyst (not a soft liquidy one) but a hard one on my right ovary - about 2cm x 2cm... She has obviously sent me for a pelvic examination at our hospital and I am waiting for the appointment to come. Also she ran a series of blood tests, which I haven't received the run down on yet.
To be honest I feel very worried about it, did the wrong thing by looking up on the internet about above and suddenly I am aware that I have some of the symptoms one of which is being bloated and swelling, well that flabby bit on my tummy seems to have got larger lately. I thought I was putting on weight as well, I do a lot of cycling and get more than the average woman's amount of excerise through this, yet still the weight goes on. One of the symptoms is weight gain. Has anyone had one of these cysts and what was the outcome? How did you get rid? I am in the limbo area of waiting for all the tests to come back but I feel worried and sleepless a bit. Yes, I maybe over reacting but somehow wish I hadn't gone!!! stupid I know. The Dr said the bleeding has nothing to do with the cyst and that whilst looking for one thing - we found something else, which is often the case (didn't make me fel better). Plus the Dr who did the scan was talking me thru everything and explaining, then went quiet giving her oppo measurments to log down etc, and she didn't say anything about the cyst. So I thought all was well as she said the uterus was fine and everything, then the Dr told me this about having a cyst...
Anyone had any experience with this? I know they are effected by hormones etc, but those are the liquidy types, mine is 'hard'...yikes.. (so it doesn't fall into the same category)...

ThingumyandBob Sun 06-Sep-09 17:11:42

I went for a test for something else and they found cyst. I had blood tests and more scans…and then went home and looked online and then worried. The blood test results came to my doctor fairly quickly, so I phoned her up and found out that luckily the thing (thing, sorry, not very medical term) that can be present when you have cancer was not in my blood, so that made me feel better.

I had an appointment with the consultant in the gynae department, I did take a list of questions with me in case I got flustered, he was good though, turned out I had to have an opp and have cyst removed. Apparently though, depending on the type of cyst you don’t always need an opp and he also said ovarian cysts are really common. The opp was ok, couldn’t lift for a few weeks or laugh to hard , but I felt better in the end.

I do remember though when I was having a scan that the nurse doing it had been really chatty, then went quite!! I did ask her what she could see etc and she said they are just not able at this stage to say anything, they have to let the consultant decide first, so try not to worry about that bit…I have to say, after I had had the blood test back, I did worry a lot less, so if you can nag your doctors it might be worth it.

All a bit of a worry….hope above helps a little.

Kally Sun 06-Sep-09 22:01:38

Thanks, I know I am over reacting and far too early for any 'use', so to speak. But it's not easy.
I did the blood tests on Thursday and will have an appoinment the week after so...

Sometimes it's worse when you look things up on the net. Ignorance is bliss.

Thanks for your input and glad it turned out ok for you. Can't think straight with keep worrying but will have to obviously be a bit more patient and show constraint. Thanks.

RumourOfAHurricane Mon 07-Sep-09 00:00:14

Message withdrawn

Kally Mon 07-Sep-09 07:59:18

Thanks Shine...Glad your Mum is ok as well. I also had been experiencing pain in my tail bone and thought it was wear nd tear from the bike, (which the Dr says doesn't help) and have had xrays on pelvis and tail bone etc) (also for which I am waiting results). The Dr says she doesn't think there is a connection as cyst is on the other side of where the pain is felt.

Anyway, I just felt it was time for some type of checkup and ...look what we have discovered! sad... made me feel old and crotchety but still, as you say, these things are better found earlier.

I just hate the torment of waiting. I had the liquidy ovarian cysts when I was younger and trying to get pregnant, but these absorbed by the fluctuation of hormones etc. I didn't have to have surgery or any treatment. But this is a 'hard' cyst... a bit different apparently. (Wish it was a soft one)sad. Still must be positive and rational about it. Thanks.

ABetaDad Mon 07-Sep-09 08:13:09

kally - I totally endorse what Shineon has said. My DW had ovarian cancer ten years ago, ovary removed and still has multiple water filled cysts on her remaining ovary. She is pre menopausal, having very heavy periods and also fibroids. She is absolutely fine though.

You absolutely must stay away from Google and wait for the results. Without those results you have nothing at all to base any kind of Google search on.

Sorry to talk to you this way because I know exactly how you feel but often a lot of medical stuff on this issue on the internet requires a lot of very careful interpretation.

Shineon - very glad your Mum is OK.

RumourOfAHurricane Mon 07-Sep-09 09:31:42

Message withdrawn

izzybiz Mon 07-Sep-09 09:45:28

I had an ovarian cyst removed a couple of years ago.
I had noticed when laying on my back, a kind of pressure in my abdomen, really like when yoou are pregnant and lay down you can feel the bump pushing upward iykwim!

I went to the Gp who said it was either fibroids or a huge cyst.
Scan showed a very large cyst on my right ovary, it reached to my belly button!

I went in for surgery, and they removed over a litre of fluid from the cyst, then took the cyst along with my ovary and fallopian tube.

Cyst was checked for cancer but was clear, what they did find though, was a dermoid cyst inside the fluid filled one, they are the kind that can grow hair and teeth!! I suppose they would come under the "hard" category? but like I say, nothing sinister was found.

I was in hospital for 4 days and fully recovered after about 3 months.

I know its easy to say don't worry, as I was terrified! But please try not to, odds are its nothing nasty.

Kally Tue 08-Sep-09 10:56:45

Thanks all. Whichever way I look at it, it seems it has to come out though... even if it's a little one of 2cm... I will probably be in a clearer picture by next week. They said two weeks roughly (for blood tests) and I did them last Thursday.
I can't feel mine at all, I had no idea. I went originally because I have a painful tail bone (years) but bike riding has sort of made it worse and I was continually taking pain killers (I don't have any blood pressure or diabetes or anything at all really) thankfully quite healthy. I had had a bit of bleeding after sex, which worried me a bit, but the Dr said this has nothing to do with the cyst. Come to think of it, when the Dr was doing the ultra sound she said my bladder weasn't full enough but was pressing down hard on right ovary and it felt 'uncomfortable' but not painful. Then she decided to look internally and I had the probe put inside so she could get a better look. She said everything was fine... but went a bit quiet for a while...
Yes I heard about those dermoid cysts... what on earth... still... glad you got rid of yours. I wish things didn't take so long... it's the waiting that makes it harder.

purplepeony Tue 08-Sep-09 19:02:14

Kally- calm down.
I have had a cyst roughly 3 cms for 18 months at least when it was found and I am older than you.

It has been screened every 3-4 months since and is shrinking.

The weight gain and cancer is due to the size of the cyst- canbe like a grapefruit, so yours is not causing you weight gain.

The blood test will be CA125 for ovarian cancer- have had those tests too. They are not very accurate but should be done anyway.

The general rule is if the cyst is under 5 cms it is watchful waiting.

You should ask for another internal scan as that gives more detail- far more than ultrasound over your tummy.

I am sure you will be okay.

Kally Wed 09-Sep-09 14:46:45

I had the internal ultra sound.

The blood tests all came back normal, as did the x-rays on my pelvis, (except for normal wear and tear) but no hairline fractures or anything, so I guess it's just 'back-pain'... The Dr will call me tomorrow morning but I was releived that the blood tests all came out normal. It's something, I suppose...

The Dr said to me that as it is small they will probably just keep an eye on it, sometimes they fluctuate with hormones purple is yours a 'hard' cyst or a fluidy one?

purplepeony Wed 09-Sep-09 14:49:48

Kally- as far as I know mine is see-through and fluid filled. it has shrunk over the past 6 months from 3.5 cms to 1.5cms and now they are scanningme yearly, not every 3-4 months. This is privately, so they have no axe to grind ove costs etc- they are doing what is medically right, nothing to do with the NHS having to pay!

They talk me through what they can see and although u/s is only 97% accurate, I tend to believe them when they say it is benign.

Try not to worry- they will keep an eye on it. It's very small and I was told that any under 5cms are almost always benign.

Kathrina Wed 09-Sep-09 15:04:14

Hello i am really sorry to butt in but what are the signs/symptoms of an ovarian cyst?
Thanks x

purplepeony Wed 09-Sep-09 16:28:34

Best google- unless they are big and pressing on other organs, there are no symptoms.

soupmaker Wed 09-Sep-09 21:58:59

Hello kathrina I had a dermoid cyst which was about 15cm in diameter removed in March. I had very few symptoms. Looking back I think I'd had it for ages - I sometimes would get what felt like a muscle pull in my side - I put it down to putting DD's travel system in and out of the car! Side would get really sore when lying down sometimes and then every now again I would be doubled up in pain which would eventually ease. I went to my GP eventually after getting up one morning and not being able to cope with the pain - he sent me to A&E and 3 days later left hospital minus cyst! Not sure if this will give you any comfort.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now