Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Have done something to my hand, should I go to a&e?

(9 Posts)
navyeyelasH Sat 05-Sep-09 22:49:34

Have been doing quite a lot fo DIY. On Thurs afternoon my hand starting to hand in between my knuckles, nothing major just felt weird.

Has progressively got worse now so I can't clench my fist, it doesn't hurt to clench it it's just quite swollen and wont actally clench tightly. There is a weird lump inbetween my middle finger and ring finger but I don't remember knocking my hand.

This evening the pain in shooting down to my wrist and elbow and it hurts quite a bit now, have been taking ibroprufen and paracetemol it's not eeven denting the swelling or pain.

Have been using hot and cot compress but not doing anything. Doesn't hurt to bed fingers so I don't see what A&E can do but DP wants me to go first thing tomorrow.

trellism Sat 05-Sep-09 22:51:43

I would go to A&E. It could be an infection, a break or a bad sprain - the fact that it's got worse and painkillers aren't working is probably not a good sign.

navyeyelasH Sat 05-Sep-09 22:59:23

But can you really break a bone without remembering?

I really hate hospitals (as in mild phobia) so really would rather not go. But last time I broke my arm and had all sorts of complications because I didn't go and get it plastered. Hence DP saying I should just get it checked.

Really I want everyone to say it sounds like nothing and will go on its own with rest.

Could it be RSI or similar from over use via DIY?

trellism Sat 05-Sep-09 23:02:43

If you've had a very busy day of DIY, you might not remember whacking your hand, I guess...

I think you'd need to be doing a lot of DIY over a long period to get RSI - it took me nearly 18 months to develop it at work.

Thing is, it probably is nothing, but it's worth getting symptoms like yours checked. If you're worried about A&E, do you not have a drop-in centre you can visit instead?

Alternatively, you could try NHS Direct and see what they suggest.

bigpantywoman Sat 05-Sep-09 23:03:32

Sounds like some kind of tendonitis, in which case rest, ice, ibuprofen will all help. Yes it's a form of RSI. A friend of mine did this to her wrist by digging her allotment - it was agony for a good few days, but it does eventually go away! Go to doc rather than A&E since you don't like hospitals.

navyeyelasH Sun 06-Sep-09 19:38:57

Hey all the swelling has gone down a lot today so I decided not to go in the end - I'm hoping it's something like tendonitis, especially as my ring finger is sort of sticking when I try and extend it which match up with trigger finger (I googled!).

bigpantywoman (brill name!) I called my GP on Thurs but getting an appointment within 2 weeks is nigh on impossible and I don't really feel I should be treated as an emergency. Maybe if the pain had been a bit more unbearable!

trellism, I have been doing DIY more of less everyday for 4 months, for at least 2 hours a day (more like 12 on weekends) and think I overdid it on the bank holiday weekend. I hand sanded my entire hallway walls and ciling then painted them with 6 coats of paint. Not to mention steaming of the wall paper initially. If it comes back I think I will follow your advice of going to a drop in centre, I forgot about those places!

Thanks both for putting my mind at rest.

trellism Sun 06-Sep-09 23:06:10

Glad to hear it's better.

I have no comprehension of DIY that lasts longer than an afternoon, so I admire your stamina.

weegiemum Sun 06-Sep-09 23:07:47

Good you are feeling better.

I have no conception of DIY. Full Stop!

jybay Mon 07-Sep-09 00:59:50

This may be tendonitis which will settle by itself. My only concern, though, is that it could be a ruptured tendon - the lump does suggest a possible rupture (tendonitis may cause swelling but not usually a discrete lump).

It's unusual to rupture a tendon without an obvious injury but it can happen. Depending on which tendon is affected, a rupture needs splinting or a surgical repair and it is best to get this done asap.

I would advise going to A&E in the morning. TBH, there is not much point seeing your GP as s/he would just have to send you up to A&E for further investigation anyway.

jybay (GP & A&E doc)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: