Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

It's probably silly, but I am terrified

(20 Posts)
dejags Wed 01-Jun-05 21:03:30

My DS2 who is 8 months old is having a small operation on his ears tomorrow morning. It requires a general anaesthetic and I am absolutely terrified. I have been tense all day today and I am in tears now.

I couldn't bear it if anything went wrong . It's silly I know but I can't help myself. He is so little.

misdee Wed 01-Jun-05 21:04:07

awwww {{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}

i'm sure he'll be ok.

hester Wed 01-Jun-05 21:06:03

Oh dejags, you poor thing. Of course you're scared - even though you know the risks are so very, very low - he's your baby and his safety will be in someone else's hands. Try to keep yourself calm - have a cup of hot milk and read a silly magazine.

Best of luck for tomorrow - let us know how it goes.

lavenderrr Wed 01-Jun-05 21:07:41

May God Bless you dejags. May I send many(((((())))))))) to you. Do you have family near by you to comfort you at this time...please cry all you like. I can't imagine what it is like but the doctors will be there for you....hold your little boys hand tight....am sure many mn's will have you in their prayers....much much luck and love to you dejagsxxx

Katemum Wed 01-Jun-05 21:08:19

My ds had an op at age 2, I understand how you feel, I was exactly the same.
But you can come back and tell us tomorrow that everything went fine and he didn't know what all the fuss was about.
In the mean time, hugs and if he is in bed do something nice for yourself.

Puff Wed 01-Jun-05 21:11:04

dejags, I'd get like this too, although I know it's irrational!

Try to stay calm .

Anything on the box to take your mind off things?

Glass of wine or a warm milky drink to help you relax?

soapbox Wed 01-Jun-05 21:13:37

Understandably so Dejags - I think most of us would feel like this!

All my best wishes for tomorrow - I'll be thinking of you and your little DS!

I don't do virtual hugs normally - but I'll make an exception just this once

(((((hugs)))))

dejags Wed 01-Jun-05 21:13:49

thanks everybody [grateful smile]. I know I am being silly - DH is asleep because we have a very early start and I would normally go to him for a cuddle but I don't want to wake him and get him worrying too.

I just can't shift the negative thoughts - we have to go into theatre with him until he is a asleep and then we have to wait in recovery for him to come out (about 45 minutes). I am dreading it and just can't help feeling so anxious and tearful.

being on MN helps though

beansontoast Wed 01-Jun-05 21:15:31

ahhh.i'd be like that too.you aint silly .hugs x

Katemum Wed 01-Jun-05 21:19:05

The going into theatre bit should be over in seconds but is a bit hairaising. The nurses and anesthetist (sp?) were absolutely wonderful, they had bubbles, tried to make him laugh and generally did everything they could to relax my ds. I hated the actual going to sleep bit but it was very quick and I was led out of the room by a very understanding nurse (who I think was only in the room for this one task) as I could not see through the tears.
You will hate tomorrow and will cry, but it will be over quickly and you will all go home with it over and done with.

pixiefish Wed 01-Jun-05 21:22:09

you're not silly. i'd be the same. all the best tomorrow

dejags Wed 01-Jun-05 21:24:00

thank you all again. I am off to snuggle up to DH and will let you all know tomorrow how my little boy is doing.

dejags Thu 02-Jun-05 12:44:55

Just to let you know.

All is well in the Casa De Jager. DS2 is home safe and sound.

I cried as he went in and found the whole thing extremely stressful. I hope thats the last we'll see of hospitals for the foreseeable future.

hunkermunker Thu 02-Jun-05 12:45:48

Awww - so glad to hear that all is well - know how scared you must've been.

Aimsmum Thu 02-Jun-05 12:51:07

Message withdrawn

Puff Thu 02-Jun-05 12:51:43

Glad all went well and he's home .

Katemum Thu 02-Jun-05 21:33:20

Glad it all went well for you.

cherith Thu 02-Jun-05 21:37:16

My 4 year old had grommits fitted. iwas very worried too. im sure yours will be fine. i also know of a couple of people who had young babies go in for the same operation. The risk is very small. The bigger risk will be driving there.

Jimjams Thu 02-Jun-05 23:46:38

I would be worried too, not silly, normal. By this tomorrow it'll all be over and fine xx

Blu Fri 03-Jun-05 00:19:49

Oh Dejags, sorry, I missed this.
DS had 4 ops when he was 10 months, and I never got used to the aneasthetic bit, and leaving him on the trolley. Awful.
BUT Ds himself sailed through without a hint of a care - as doubtless yours has.

Thinking of you and hoping for a speedy, trouble-free convalescence.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now