Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Psoriasis - nail damage

(10 Posts)
lazymumofteenagesons Sat 05-Sep-09 18:25:45

Has anyone successfully treated the nail damage caused by psoriasis? Or have you had any sort of wraps or false nails that have worked? I'm fed up with hiding my hands all the time.

lazymumofteenagesons Sat 05-Sep-09 21:24:02

bump anyone?

mathanxiety Sun 06-Sep-09 06:06:10

I don't know much about psoriasis, but my nails, which used to be flaky and easy to break, hard to grow, improved a lot from using Burt's Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream. They strengthened up and grew faster.

alypaly Sun 06-Sep-09 10:56:17

unfortunately psoriasis can cause pitting of the nails. I used to work in dermatolgy and would not advise putting anything like false nails on because you are more prone to fungal nail infections. If you get this under a false nail it will be impossible to detect and reaaly difficult to treat

alypaly Sun 06-Sep-09 11:01:46

Onychomycosis of the nails is a fungal infection of the nails in conjunction with psoriasis. Alot of people with psoriasis of the nails have this. It might be worth your doctor giving you some terbinafine tablets for infections of the nail. Nothing like creams or ointments or even loceryl are particularly effective. Worth a try ..you have nothing to loose

lazymumofteenagesons Sun 06-Sep-09 12:25:23

thanks alypaly. I wonder if i do have a fungal infection as well, cos my nails often go a funny colour too. The dr seems just to dismiss it all as untreatable and something i have to live with. I will ask about the terbinafine tablets.

alypaly Mon 07-Sep-09 09:29:19

dont let the gp fob you off with loceryl nail lotion as it takes for ever if at all to work. Do your nails go creamy whitish and cloudy

lazymumofteenagesons Mon 07-Sep-09 19:11:02

yes they do. And they have ridges and come away from the bed. But I just read that if most of your nails are affected it is unlikely to be a fungal infection and just down to the psoriasis

alypaly Mon 07-Sep-09 23:20:50

thats correct, so the pitting and peeling is probably due to psoriasis.Sorry i didnt realise it was all your nails

alypaly Mon 07-Sep-09 23:23:07

I would still try the terbinafine tablets as there is a strong possibility it could have a fungal element. Nothing to loose have you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now