Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

can female sterilisation be done on the NHS? What methods do they use?

(37 Posts)
mum23monkeys Sat 05-Sep-09 17:30:03

I've been trying to convince dh to have the snip for ages. I don't think it's going to work, but I think sterilisation is the best route for us - family finished and no chance I'll want more. (nor dh)

So, can it be done on the NHS? If not, how much does it cost? I believe there are ways of doing it now that are non-invasive and don't require a general anesthetic.

Anyone had it done? What were your experiences?

FluffySaysTheDailyMailsShite Sat 05-Sep-09 17:37:04

It's free IIRC, they put clips on the fallopian tubes under a general anaesthetic. I don't know about ways of doing this under a local though, I've not had it done.

MayorNaze Sat 05-Sep-09 17:41:49

it depends on your area i think as to what they charge for and whatnot.

we are in a similar sort of situation and after lenghty discussion with (actually v helpful!) doc am waiting to have a coil put in, apparently that is even more effective than sterilisation?

<<winces in anticipation>>

nappyzoneisback Sat 05-Sep-09 17:54:34

us here too as dh is a huge wuss - its free i beleive, as far as im aware its keyhole surgery under a GA btu you get out straight away. You know with men theres a chance some still get through ,,,, is there any chance of failure with female sterlisation and also my dh thinks there is a rise in chance of testicular cancer in men after vasectomy - is there any risks associated with women steri and does it turn you into a raging monster? I am also interested in views and experiences.

nappyzoneisback Sat 05-Sep-09 17:55:43

is it mayornaze? i thought there ws increased risk of ectopic pgs? Really i have no clue.

bigstripeytiger Sat 05-Sep-09 17:56:38

The mirena coil is more effective than sterilisation.

nappyzoneisback Sat 05-Sep-09 18:03:05

reading through them all - it still releases chemicals into your body which is the ting i dont like. Also it doesnt stop release and fertilization of the egg it just stops implantation. I also read it can fail 1 in 1000 - i will be the 1 i know it. It does sound better than normal coil though as lightens periods. May be something i need to look into further.

MayorNaze Sat 05-Sep-09 18:58:10

i was concerned about hormones as the pill turns me into even more of a raging spotty lunatic, doc said it is the equivalent of taking 2 mini-pills (progesterone only) per week and so should be fine. apparently the hormones are also centred around the womb and not so much into the bloodstream?

got my info from the family planning website, also patient uk website, both doc recommendations

mum23monkeys Sat 05-Sep-09 20:55:46

The mirena coil was supposed to be my life line as well - in for 5 years, no periods, tiny dose of progesterone, and no risk of ectopic compared with old-fashioned copper coil.

But, I've had it in now for 8 months and I still bleed like a normal period for 3/4 days, then spot for up to 2 weeks. Sometimes I then get a week or so off bleeding, others not and it all starts again. So, for me, lots of unpredictable bleeding. Not ideal. I could also swear it's giving me spots, although my gp says this isn't possible as I had no problems taking Cerazette (progesterone only mini pill). But they are different sorts of progesterone.

I don't really like hormones being put in my body long term, even if they are very low doses.

Anyway, I'm not really getting on with the mirena, so something's got to be done.

nappyzoneisback Sun 06-Sep-09 10:08:46

i have a friend with similar experience on mirena which also puts me off any coil combo. There seems only one option for me well 3 - barreir method combined with a bit of risky withdrawl, sterilization or ending up pg.

nappyzoneisback Sun 06-Sep-09 10:09:12

oh and celibesy {sp?} grin

mum23monkeys Sun 06-Sep-09 14:43:38

For me, it's sterilisation or celibacy - the thought of ending up pg again sends shivers down my spine. Also, I know deep within myself that I would be secretly thrilled if I did get pg, but that rationally it would be total and utter disaster. So, I would probably be a bit too risky and subconsciously get myself pg as quickly as possible. I need contraception to be taken out of my control!

jeminthecellar Sun 06-Sep-09 14:45:31

Yes of course you can!
I had a tubal tie.

jeminthecellar Sun 06-Sep-09 14:47:11

Although if you don't want a GA, then as other people suggest.

Easn't that big a deal, out of hosp same day- get your DP to take a few days off so youu can get over the GA. Job done.

MayorNaze Sun 06-Sep-09 15:14:14

i have read loads also about people who have bad experiences with mirena..my nice gp did assure me though that at the first sign of trouble i can just have it whipped out...hopefully she did mean it!

bigstripeytiger Sun 06-Sep-09 15:22:44

I had to have my Mirena taken out after a few weeks because of persistant cramping and pain.
Im not sure what to do now - I dont want any more children, I'm worried by the failure rate of sterilisation, so at the moment Im taking the pill.

Milliways Sun 06-Sep-09 15:52:34

I was sterilised on NHS. It is a day procedure done via laparoscopy. You end up with one stitch in your belly button & one in bikini line. Still need a week off work though as it involves a general anaesthetic.

Never regretted it, as I was useless at remembering pills etc.

nappyzoneisback Sun 06-Sep-09 19:06:07

what is this failiure rate with sterilisation? how can it go wrong?? surely thats that??? advise..... plz smile

nappyzoneisback Sun 06-Sep-09 19:14:44

with sterilisation can someeone also shed light no what happens to your eggys? if they cant come down the tubey were do they go? do they just all back up and cause problems later? [thicko smiley]

Milliways Sun 06-Sep-09 19:55:26

I think the biggest risk I was warned about was ectopic pregnancy.

bigstripeytiger Sun 06-Sep-09 20:09:48

The failure rate usually given is that 1 in 200 women who are sterilised get pregnant again.

sterilisation

nappyzoneisback Sun 06-Sep-09 20:24:34

thats quite high odds really.

expatinscotland Sun 06-Sep-09 20:29:50

some trusts are offered Essure female sterilisation. this is done under local in a day surgery centre. it involves inserting rods in the fallopian tubes and you'll need to use alternative contraception for 3 months.

was considering this myself and Mirena was awful for me, so was Cerazette and i don't like how copper coil works.

but thankfully after playing hardball DH is getting snipped next month.

expatinscotland Sun 06-Sep-09 20:29:52

some trusts are offered Essure female sterilisation. this is done under local in a day surgery centre. it involves inserting rods in the fallopian tubes and you'll need to use alternative contraception for 3 months.

was considering this myself and Mirena was awful for me, so was Cerazette and i don't like how copper coil works.

but thankfully after playing hardball DH is getting snipped next month.

Hormonesnomore Sun 06-Sep-09 20:36:25

I was sterilised years ago - clips put on fallopian tubes (done on the NHS - no problem as I was in my 30s & had 3 children).

I had a GA & was home the same day. Stitches weren't painful, but the gas they insert to inflate your abdomen can hurt for a while all over abdomen & up to your shoulders. Allow yourself about a week's rest if possible.

Your eggs will still be released but will be absorbed by your body.

It's a very effective method of contraception & is effective immediately (if you feel like having sex then of course!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now